wiring a bulb to an existing switch with no neutral! ???HELP

12 Apr 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi i work in a nightclub and the cellar light , which is down a flight of stairs and through a door, is always getting left on, what i want to do is install a light at the bottom of the stairs connected to the light switch inside the cellar to tell me if the lights are in without going down there. IE if we can see the bulb lit, we know the cellar lights are on.

The switch is a 2 way used as a 1 way, is there a way of connecting a bulb to the switch. Both wires in the switch are live. is that correct?

How can i complete this project

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
One way is to fit a neon indicator between Live and Switched Live inside the switch. These are commonly used as locators that glow to show where the switch is in the dark.

It will glow when the light is OFF

To have a light that is glowing when the light is on you need to bring a neutral to the switch. Replace the wire from switch to lamp with triple and earth and use the new core to bring the neutral from lamp to switch.

Or run a length of optical fibre from close the lamp to the side of the switch or some other place where it can be seen. NOT communications grade fibre but cheaper light guide fibre.
Or at less than a tenth of the effort and expense, change the lightbulb to a compact fluorescent (energy saving) lamp which uses a quarter of the electricity.

Lighting uses very little energy compared to heating and cooking appliances.
Sponsored Links
Or, wake up and smell the liabilities and legislation....

Hi i work in a nightclub.....
This is a place of work, and therefore comes within the scope of the Electricity At Work Regulations.

And they are licensed premises, so the relevant licensing authorities may well have something to say about who does electrical work.

Then of course there could well be conditions in the various employer, public liability etc insurances held.

How can i complete this project
By getting a competent electrician to do it.
I don't disagree with what has been said but isn't the answer to the original question? -

Not really, you will have to connect the new light to the existing light.
I'll disagree with most of what has been said (with the exception of what BAS said),
It is a place of work hence you need a competent person (eg an electrician) to do the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links