Wiring a loop in ceiling light without a rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if i don't get the technical language correct...

I'm trying to replace an existing ceiling light with an old chandelier. The ceiling rose that i'm replacing appears to be a 'loop in' arrangement. The chandelier only has two wires, a hook to hang it from the ceiling (and a bracket that fixes to the ceiling) and a cover that hides the hook and wires at the ceiling.
it hasn't got any kind of 'track connector' (i think thats the right phrase) to enable me to wire the 'loop in'.
I guess my question is - can i buy a track connector ... it will be easily hidden under the lights ceiling cover ... or do i just twist the wires together and pack loads of insulating tape around them?

cheers
neil

Sponsored Links
neilbrowning said:
... or do i just twist the wires together and pack loads of insulating tape around them?

No!

Is there space in the ceiling above - how is it fixed to the ceiling?
You could use connector strip or a small junction box to make the connections depending on space.

(i thought that by saying i'd twist the wires together would get a reply)

there isn't access from above but within the chandelier housing there is a little space to put a connecting strip in ... would this do the trick?
PREGQ231.jpg

thanks in advance!

Neil

Sponsored Links
I can't visualise your problem.

Before buying the chandelier, did you have a pendant light ftting; with a rose at the ceiling, then a short piece of flex, then a lampholder and shade?

Why don't you replicate the arrangement, but instead of a bit of flex with a lampholder at the end of it, have a bit of flex with your chandelier (separately supported with its chain and bracket) at the end of it?

BTW you say it is an old chandelier, and has only two wires. If it is very old with rubber cables you had better rewire it and see if the lampholders need renewing as well. I imagine it is made of metal, so you will have to incorporate an earth terminal, perhaps it has some screws you can use. I hope your ceiling rose has an earth core.

i'll take a couple of pictures - that will probably help bundles!
thanks for taking the time to read and reply.
(how to i post photos btw :?: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back