Wiring a new hob and new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new kitchen and need some help with wiring a new electric hob and cooker.

I have 6mm square wire coming from my consumer unit and that connects to a fused box with plug socket above the units.
I have then run the same size wire down to a terminal box near the rear of the oven.

The hob is rated at 230V 50Hz and 6.4 kW.
The cooker is running of a 13 amp plug.

I have run a single socket from the terminal box behind the oven for the oven to be connected to so that it is fused via the plug.

The hob was going to be directly wired using 6mm square wire to the terminal box.

My only issue is whether this is acceptable tacking into account that the maximum power running through the 6mm square cable is around 9.4 kW.

Sponsored Links
it is fine. make sure a 32A MCB or Fuse is fitted at the consumer unit.

A 32a mcb will protect the 6mm. But.....

Ignoring diversity, the hob will pull nearly 28amps on it's own!

The oven maybe another 12A?
Then we have the socket outlet above the unit on the same cable? Potentially another 13A??

28+12+13=53amps? Have I understood that correctly? cough!

You might find you have overload problems with the circuit.

Maybe look at changing the cooker switch/socket above the unit to one without a socket outlet and then you could rely on diversity I suppose.

(what size cable do you have feeding the single socket from the cooker outlet incidently?)

Sponsored Links
40A then. Either should be ok unless you are cooking xmas dinner. I was just quoting the standard cooker circuit rating of 32A. And a socket on the CCU - <makes sucking noise through teeth> - you only have to allow 5A for that (and it should be RCD proected if on the ground floor) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back