WIRING A PLUG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased an old lamp, however the cable does not have the usual colourings for when it comes to attaching a plug, one wire is black, one is silver and the other is yellow/green stripes, would be grateful if anyone can advice me on this one.

Sponsored Links
Is it an American lamp? Does it have a switch on it? Is it a metal casing?

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to completely replace the cable? If not, bell the cables out and sleeve with the appropriate LNE colours

I don't really want to replace the cable as it is an antique. what do you mean by bell out the cable?

A continuity test from one end to the other to hopefully establish where they go (unless they're broken!). If it's really old then the insulation on the cables may be poor, so you'd be best to put a new one on.

I should have said change the flex.

"belling out" will be of little use, since it will not show the insulation resistance, hence change the flex.

One question no one has asked.

this silver core, is it actual silver metal you can see or is it silver coloured insulation.

a pic would help. pic info is in forum information

oh, dear. is sonds like its so old is detear, oh s*d it, broken down .

also the flex has been changed before since one core is green and yellow

any chance of a pic to be 100%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back