Wiring a wall light to an existing fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to wire up two wall lights to some previous fittings that have been blanked off. My new lights have the standard brown wire and blue wire with a terminal on the back plate for the earth.

My existing fittings have three terminal blocks as follows, one with two red wires, one with two black wires and one with a red wire and a black wire with red sheaths. There is also an earth wire screwed to the blanking plate. The two wall light fittings are on a dimmer if this helps. Any help on how to wire them up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Billy

Sponsored Links
the brown wire goes to the phase conductor, the blue goes to the neutral conductor and the green/ yellow connects to the earth.

Thank you pdelec, not too sure which conductor is which though, is the phase conductor the terminal block with the red and black wire? I presume the neutral is the one with the black wires?

Thanks
Billy

Brown to the connection with one red and the black with the red marking on.
Blue to the connection with two blacks.
Earth to the earths.
Nothing to the connection with the two reds

Sponsored Links
Thank you kindly for a clear answer Adam, didn't want to blow anything up or the wife would never forgive me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back