Wiring an Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a gas engineer fit a new duel fuel oven. I was suprised to watch him fit a plug onto the electrical connection - is this safe to do? We have had surges in power since he left. He removed the cover from the existing electrical mounting where the previous oven was wired directly into the wall, and replaced it with a socket.

Sponsored Links
If it's a dual-fuel oven, with a gas hob and a single oven, it is probably rated at less than 3kW and safe to connect with a 13Amp plug, this is not wrong. If he had wired it straight into the cooker connection (if you previously had an electric cooker) then it would probably have had too high rated a fuse or MCB, which the 13Amp plug corrects.

Have a look at your instruction book and the manufacturer's plate on the cooker (may be in the jamb of the oven door) and see what the electrical load rating is.

Tell me about these surges you mention, what are the symptoms?

Was your previous cooker gas or electric?

And, congratulations on your choice of a dual-fuel cooker - it gives you the best of both worlds.

I take it the new setup comprises of a gas hob and an electric oven? If this is the case this is normally ok as most of the power in your old setup would have been used by the hob. Most modern ovens are rated between 1800W - 2500W which is fine to run off a plug and socket setup. If you are worried, pull out the new oven and look for the rate plate (on the back or side usually) This will let you know how much power is needed and thus wheter the setup is correct or not. Did the gas fitter issue you with a certificate for the work? He is required to do so under part P of the building regs.

Rob

<edit> Beaten to it!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back