Wiring downlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire 8 down lights (50 watt Halogen no need for transformer type) in my kitchen. Would anybody be able to tell me the best way of doing this please. I\\\'m thinking of either using 3 junction boxes and join them there or just more simply going from the first light to the next and so on like a chain. Also they are double insulated so i guess i just trim the earth back and leave it? Do i just use normal lighting cable or does it have to be special heat resistant cable? It doesn\\\'t say anything in instructions! Thanks for any help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
The way to do it is to daisychain them. connections need to be accessible, so using junction boxes all over the place wont meet regs. Use 1.5mm² cable.

Its worth noting that's 400w of lighting you will have in your kitchen. How many watts did you have before? How many watts in total do you have on this circuit (incl. this addition)? What rating is the protective device (MCB/fuse)?

Dont snip the earth off. It make be needed in future. Continue the earth through the daisychain if you can, using terminal blocks.

Thanks i'll daisy chain em then and keep the earth continuity going with terminal blocks. This circuit will have a total of 1100w and will be protected by a 6amp mcb. I understand this to be ok. So the flat grey 1.5mm cable is ok then, it doesn't have to be special heat resistant cable? Thanks for your help again! :LOL:

HammerHappy said:
This circuit will have a total of 1100w and will be protected by a 6amp mcb. I understand this to be ok.
yes this is fine. Just checking because a lot of people add extra lights to their downstairs circuit and end up overloading it - 500w outside lights are good at this! :LOL:

btw, i meant to make the point earlier, that 400w is a lot of light. How big is the kitchen? how many watts did you have before?

Sponsored Links
It's a fair size. approx 2.7m wide and about 5m long. I know this does seem a lot of light though. Maybe 6 would be enough but i dont want to create shadows by not having enough light. Thanks for your help. :eek:

use these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...=choc+box&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

or something like them above each light, then a tail to each fitting.
Personally I would use ELV (12V) lamps with trannys as a 35W )quality - osram / phillips lamp will give the same light as a 50W mains halogen.
Also the lamps last longer and are cheaper to replace.

this makes all connections acessible as you can pull them out of the roofspace to get to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back