wiring-earth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Greece.
I am installing a strip light and I bought the wire,a switch and a plug.
I have secured the earth wire on the appropriate connection in the light but the switch and the plug have no connection for earth.

What do I do?

pls help-choose your words carefully for I am a complete ignorant of technical terms.

Thank you for any forthcoming advice.

Sponsored Links
Gocool said:
I live in Greece.

What do I do?

1) Consider getting a local electrician who will be familiar with the rules and regulations that apply in Greece.

do your sockets have any form of earth connection?

if so what form is it? is it a third hole? is it a pin sticking out of the socket or is it side scrapeing contacts

in a lot of europe earthless sockets are sadly still fairly common in older houses

personally i would consider such wiring a deathtrap and want it rewired asap your light will work without an earth but it will not be safe (at least it won't meet safety regulations if its well built it should still be as safe as any other appliance in your house that should have an earth and doesn't like the pc you are probablly typeing this on)

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
do your sockets have any form of earth connection?
What difference does that make? Gocool has bought a 2-pin plug.

if so what form is it? is it a third hole? is it a pin sticking out of the socket or is it side scrapeing contacts
What difference does that make? AFAICT it could be any of those 3, BTW..

your light will work without an earth but it will not be safe (at least it won't meet safety regulations if its well built it should still be as safe as any other appliance in your house that should have an earth and doesn't like the pc you are probablly typeing this on)
You can't possibly know that.

Gocool, sorry but as ban-all-sheds said, you would be best asking a local electrician. sorry but as this is a UK based forum we really have no idea regarding you local regulations

plugwash said:
<<do your sockets have any form of earth connection?

in a lot of europe earthless sockets are sadly still fairly common in older houses >>

I bought wire, switch and plug from the same electrical store and the wire which I was given has 3 wires but no earth connection in either the switch or the plug and no possible area where the earth can fit in either of them.[/b]

You should go back to the store and discuss it with them - they should be able to give you advice on what sort of plug to use, how to wire up the switch and so on, or they may be able to recommend a local electrician.

Sponsored Links
Back