Wiring electric shower - advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Update on bathroom, we've got as far as removing all tiles, plasterboard and removing chip-and-grove floorboards (lots of fun!).
The consumer box is on the ground floor pretty much directly below the bath (hope it wont leak). We want to install a trinton 10.5kW shower.
I've spoke to an electrian who said we can lay a 10 mm two core cable through the floor into the roof. He just said make sure it doesn't run with pipes and goes through the joists.
He'll come and make the actual connections and certify part p.
I was thinking we could run it up the stud wall.

Also he said if the towel rail is over 3kws we'd need to run two 2.5 mm cables (he said he'd make a ring main) - I assume these are two core as well.

Does this all sound sensible?

Thanks in Advance - this board is great :)
Mark

Sponsored Links
Also he said if the towel rail is over 3kws we'd need to run two 2.5 mm cables (he said he'd make a ring main) - I assume these are two core as well.

Bit of over kill here unless your towel rails are rated at 7.3Kw max :LOL:
Use one 2.5mm cable run as a radial circuit for towel rail only if thats what you want, & I'd wager that a 16amp mcb/fuse will suffice for the towel rail as they tend to be in the 200 to 300 watt range . Dont forget about zones for accessories in bathrooms & bonding for the location of fcu supplying the towel rail.

We want to install a trinton 10.5kW shower.
I've spoke to an electrian who said we can lay a 10 mm two core cable through the floor into the roof. He just said make sure it doesn't run with pipes and goes through the joists.

The cable is 10mm twin & earth (10mm T/E), try not to twist the cable when running in. Again think about zones & bonding in bathroom + you'll need to run another length of 10mm from the DP switch location (ceiling usually) to the shower location.
You also need to think about safe zones up walls with regard to getting the cable into the loft.

He'll come and make the actual connections and certify part p.

Brave man it's him that will be taking responcibility for the whole installation upon completion of testing & issuing of cert + notifying labc & any potential faults, not wanting to say you dont know what your doing but I wouldn't agree to doing this as I'm sure most other sparks wouldn't
Make sure he is part P compliant & registers the work with labc or through his DI scheme operator.

A phantom electrician, perhaps! Otherwise questions may be directed towards him.

Sponsored Links
This i'll get a spark in to lay the cables don't want to mess anything up... thanks for your feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back