wiring extractor: isolator and fused unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vectaire X-mart timer extractor that is supposed to be put through a 3amp FCU. Doesn’t mention 3 pole isolator. I was thinking of passing L, SL & N through an isolator and then feeding the L & N through a non-switchable fused unit on the way to the fan unit. Is it permissible to have a non-switchable unit in a bathroom and, if so, are there any regulations concerning zones?

As I understand it, regulations stipulate that the SL for the extractor should come from the light. I'm thinking that this may have more to do with rooms not having means of natural ventilation. The bathroom has windows, and I would prefer that the fan operated off its own switch. Could I have a FCU outside the bathroom and simply operate the fan on pull cord switch? Or perhaps even better, if I wanted to make use of the timer, take two lives off a junction box to a 3 pole pull cord isolator (again, with in-line non-switchable FU)?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice. I'd rather be crucified by experts than by electric bolts through my hands!

Sponsored Links
fuse first, isolator next

the FCU is only needed if feeding it from a power circuit.. as lighting tends to be on a 6A then this should be fine..

however, following the manufacturers guidelines is a good way to prevent disputes in the event of a fault..

If it is a bathroom, it is much better to have the fan come on every time the light is switched on.

Many people have a psychological aversion to ventilation and WILL NOT turn on a fan.

You sound as if you are thinking of having an unswitched FCU. Why, if it comes off a 6A lighting circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back