Wiring for loung lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here it goes, have changed most of the switches in my house with no problem, then I got ahead of myself.
Having made a note of the Hall, stairs and landing switches I disconnected the two switches in the loung. 1 x Single switch 2 way, 1 x Double switch 2 way (GOT IT WRONG. Have wired double switch as follows.
Left switch (Black 1-L2, Red 3-L1, Red 2-Com)Works(wall lights)
Right switch (Black 4-Com, Red 5-L1) Doesn't work (ceiling
Single switch used for ceiling lights as well does not work, wired as follows. Red Com, Black L1, other red L2 (Red and Black for Com and L1 are in the same sleeve) the remaining red is by itself and an earth to the box.

Black 1 / Red 2 are sleeved together
Red 3 is sleeved with the earth wire to the box
Black 4 / Red 5 are sleeved together

HELP IS APPRECIATED before I pay for the easy way out.

PS Did get a warm tingly feeling in my hand when operating the right switch!!!

Sponsored Links
you have access to a meter with an ohms range? If so, over about 5 sets of ping pong, we can talk you through it, but we need ot identify which red wires do what (i.e. where they go).

Sounds good to me, will have the meter on Thursday this week. Look forward to discussing this further.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Spen

OK, when you have the meter, we need to be able to identify, which wires bring power to the switch, and which take it on to the bulbholders. The wiring between the pair of 2way switches will hopefully be one of the configurations in 'for referance (though almost certainly not with the same colours).
Before you get the meter here are a few general points to set you thinking.
On the switches that are 2 way control, all 3 terminals will be used, while on switches that are the only switch controlling that light, only 2 terminals are needed. It is sometimes possible, but unwise, to re-use the third terminal for something else. This can lead to bizzare lamps that don't go out type problems.
Make sure you have correctly identified which terminals belong to which gang of the switch. Often pairs of 2 way switches are mounted '69' to save space, and so the commons are at opposite sides. This confuses the unwary mightily, as the meaning of 'top' is reversed!

Mark the wires (if nothing else stripes of tippex or indelible pen) so we don't get confused as to which one we are talking about. Are thay all singles in a conduit, or are they grouped into an outer jacket of twin and earth?
Are you saying a red wire calls in at the box earth? If the box is plastic it may not really be earth at all, but just (mis)using the screw as an anchor point for something live. Be careful of that one.
Other things you might like to assemble are an assistant to hold things in place while you prod with the meter probes, and a length of hookup wire long enough to reach between light fitting and switch may also be handy.
(its only for ohms measurement (continuity buzzer) so anly old rubbish will do) Unless you have an elephantine memory, a sketch block and a pencil for recording configurations as they have been tried, and what happened, this reduces the embarassment factor of making the same mistake twice :p

Sponsored Links
OK

Have the meter, some cable and some choc blocks, awaiting the instructions.

Appreciate that you have a life aswell, so when you get the time I will do the necessary this end, obviously when the wife is not about because she likes her TV and the electric will be turned off (I presume).

Look forward to your advice

Regards

Spen

Can you tell us if there were any links between the switches on the 2gang switch ?
If there were not try removing red3 from the wall light switch(left) and placing this in the com of the ceiling swith (right)move the black 4 to the l2.
In the single 2 way switch move the red by itself to com and move the red that you have in the com to l2.

The above is one permutation as has been mentioned earlier if it does not work ,turn the lighting circuit off and with your meter and long lead/cable find what cable goes where by connecting one end of the lead /cable to a wire say the red by itself with the eath wire in the single switch then with your meter and cable go to the 2gang switch and measure the resistance /continuity between this cable and the reds there hope fully one should have a low resistance mark this wire at both ends and repeat the process until you have identified all the wires between the switches,if there are any not identified then remove the ceiling light and repeat the same process here ,remember to make a note of the connections before you disconnect any wires to do the test.

Thanks,

That has done the trick, no need for testing after all.

Will make sure in future that I note all the details!!!

Thanks again

Spen

Arggh - I was soo looking forward to a bout of 15 sets of bulletin board ping-pong. :LOL:
Seriously - glad to hear its fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back