Wiring for two double sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if someone can help?

I have put two new double sockets in my son's room. He had two single sockets before. Between these two sockets there were two cables running. I used a 30amp junction box and wired my two new cables into this, split one of the power cables and ran both ends into the junction box. Is this okay?

The two old single sockets and new double sockets seem to work fine but I have only tested them with a bedside lamp. I am wondering if this will be safe when all sockets are being used. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Where were these cables running and are you sure they were connected to the 2 double sockets? You would not have 2 seperate cables running between 2 sockets like that.
You say you split one of the 2 and connected into a junction box. Are you saying that each of the 2 new sockets has its own supply cable running to it from this JB? What size cable was the one you split and what size have you run to the new sockets? Before anyone can make a remote guess at whether what you have done is safe, you'll need to provide a bit more info. From what I have so far, I am not convinced you have, necessarily, done this in a safe and acceptable manner because there is too much that doesn't read quite right.

What bothers me is that you've done the work, and then you're asking advice on safety. :confused:

It is OK to create a spur from a ring main using a junction box, as long as said spur only feeds one socket (single or double). As far as I know, the jury's out as to whether its ok to spur off the same junction box twice, as I think you've done. I cant see the harm (and i've done it, with an MK JB, the type with 4 terminals per pole), but i'm not an electrician.

Also, all connections must be accessible.

Describe clearly what you've done, maybe draw us a diagram in paint and upload it to www.imageshack.us and copy a link here.

I THINK this is what you've done. see notes on diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back