wiring interlinked mains smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my stupidity, but can i connect 4 mains powered smoke alarms on a spur off the lighting circuit or mains ring? or should I put them on their own supply?

Thanks for the help

Tom

Sponsored Links
do they HAVE to be on their own supply? I called 3 sparky's today, they all wanted about £150 just to connect to the consumer unit providing I had wired in the cable everywhere for them. I guess its not that hard to connect a circuit to the mcb at the unit, is it?

I just thought that connecting to the lighting circuit would be easier for me. Would the building inspector check that they are on their own circuit(currently converting my loft, B.Insp said i must fit the alarms)?

Toml said:
(currently converting my loft, B.Insp said i must fit the alarms)?

Can you ask the building inspector why? I have done a few loft conversion and never been mention on the drawing plan I've done.

Sponsored Links
dont quote me but i thought it was part of the new building regs.

yes they shuld be on thir own supply so they will not be turned off with soething else.

if you can connect them to the lights yo should be able to connect thenm to the consumers unit, just take CARE

Cheers guys, I'll let you know if i electrocute myself. And you are right breezer, its part of building regs, i have to have at least one on every level of the house.

Thanks again.
Tom

They should not be on there own supply.....reason being if they were faulty (sounding off) you could isolate them, not very safe......but if they were on the lighting circuit....well you know its going to be dark if you tried to isolate it.....oh yes and interlinked

it would seem we are both right, depending on TYPE of smoke alarm.

if it has a battery back up it can go on with the lights, if it has NO battery back up then it can't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back