1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

wiring interlinked mains smoke detectors

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Toml, 14 Jan 2004.

1. Toml

Toml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Excuse my stupidity, but can i connect 4 mains powered smoke alarms on a spur off the lighting circuit or mains ring? or should I put them on their own supply?

Thanks for the help

Tom

2. Sponsored Links
  3. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    they should be on their own supply. 6A mcb and 1.5 mm t & e

4. Toml

Toml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    do they HAVE to be on their own supply? I called 3 sparky's today, they all wanted about £150 just to connect to the consumer unit providing I had wired in the cable everywhere for them. I guess its not that hard to connect a circuit to the mcb at the unit, is it?

I just thought that connecting to the lighting circuit would be easier for me. Would the building inspector check that they are on their own circuit(currently converting my loft, B.Insp said i must fit the alarms)?

5. masona

masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you ask the building inspector why? I have done a few loft conversion and never been mention on the drawing plan I've done.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    dont quote me but i thought it was part of the new building regs.

yes they shuld be on thir own supply so they will not be turned off with soething else.

if you can connect them to the lights yo should be able to connect thenm to the consumers unit, just take CARE

8. Toml

Toml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers guys, I'll let you know if i electrocute myself. And you are right breezer, its part of building regs, i have to have at least one on every level of the house.

Thanks again.
    Tom

9. il78

il78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They should not be on there own supply.....reason being if they were faulty (sounding off) you could isolate them, not very safe......but if they were on the lighting circuit....well you know its going to be dark if you tried to isolate it.....oh yes and interlinked

10. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    it would seem we are both right, depending on TYPE of smoke alarm.

if it has a battery back up it can go on with the lights, if it has NO battery back up then it can't

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local