Wiring light circuits with no ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my new Kitchen there will be 2 x 5 50w GU10 spot, each with a seperate circuit. Obviously with no ceiling rose I need to join together the main power feed and the switch and the lights. As we're not supposed to put connections in inacessible places, how should I join these together?

I though about using a 35mm deep steel backbox and using a couple of screw down connecting blocks behind the light switch to join together the neutrals and earths (And earthing the box/faceplate)

Is this an acceptable method?

I am going to have similar issues with the light switches for external lights and security sensors.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is acceptable to put the neutral terminals in the back of the light switch.

Paul_Thomas said:
In my new Kitchen there will be 2 x 5 50w GU10 spot, each with a seperate circuit. Obviously with no ceiling rose I need to join together the main power feed and the switch and the lights. As we're not supposed to put connections in inacessible places, how should I join these together?

I though about using a 35mm deep steel backbox and using a couple of screw down connecting blocks behind the light switch to join together the neutrals and earths (And earthing the box/faceplate)

Is this an acceptable method?

I am going to have similar issues with the light switches for external lights and security sensors.
When you say 2x5, do you mean 2 fittings with 5 spots on each fitting or 2 rows of 5 spots, if it is the latter then you will be able to get access to any connections in the ceiling by pulling out the first fitting in the row.

Sorry, to make it clearer:-

2 circuits with 5 individual spots on each, these will be chain linked (From one to the next, then the next etc and then to the switch)

So yes you can access any individual light fitting which will have an in and out cable, the main neutral and earth connections will be in the back of the light switch patress.

Sponsored Links
Making your connections at the first spot will save you sinking a box into the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back