wiring lights in series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all. I have now mastered the issue of wiring lights in parrallel and have had great help from many of the regulars on this site.

now i come to wiring in series....

the picture below shows the feed coming into the live then from the neutral to the next light live and so on.

Would it be possible for somebody to explain how this would be wired using a T core & E as i am confused as to how the wiring would work out.

Series-Parallel.jpg

Sponsored Links
there would be no reason to wire in series unless you are working with very unusual fittings

For the learning experience really if you could help!!!

i would probablly at each light wire the light between the incoming and outgoing live

and either don't cut the neutral at all or join it with chock block inside the fitting

Sponsored Links
Series is commonly used in Christmas lights and Burglar (and sometimes fire) alarm wiring.

Series wiring in T & E I have not come across, but you would need lots of terminal blocks to make it work.....

Imagine several lights wired with N & L connections as usual, all wired back to the same point. Well, take Live wire of the first fitting and Neutral wire of the last fitting and connect to the supply, then connect all the others to each other as the diagram implies, ie neutral of second to live of third, neutral of third to live of fourth etc etc........

That is an example of series wiring.

Does this make sense?

Also, the tamper loop in BA wiring is the same:

imagine all the detectors from round the house are wired back to the CP.

Then the tamper cables from each are connected just the same: one wire of first cable to one tamper term, then one wire of last cable to the other tamper terminal. The others are connected in a loop.

The end result in this case is that you have, effectively speaking, a large loop of cable starting and finishing at the tamper terminals. Thus, if that loop is broken, the panel knows there is a breach of tamper and sets off an alarm.

Hope this helps.

securespark said:
Series is commonly used in Christmas lights and Burglar (and sometimes fire) alarm wiring.

christmas lights are special the bulbs are designed for an operating voltage of 12V but all the holder/cap designs have to be safe at mains voltage

and christmas lights are always sold as a complete set which requires no witing other than possiblly changeing the plug to something more discrete

plugwash said:
securespark said:

christmas lights are special the bulbs are designed for an operating voltage of 12V but all the holder/cap designs have to be safe at mains voltage

and christmas lights are always sold as a complete set which requires no witing other than possiblly changeing the plug to something more discrete

I was using Xmas lights as an example of series wiring, not an example of where you would use T & E.......!!!!!

For us older folk, there are many sets of lights still in existence that are 240V, wired in series (so that when one lamp filament ruptures, they all go out, because the circuit is broken).

The tranny supplied SELV ones are relatively new. Compare to my set inherited from Granny, anyway. Pifco, 1967!

modern mains series christmas lights have all but one bulb (the fuse bulb) designed to fail short

plugwash said:
modern mains series christmas lights have all but one bulb (the fuse bulb) designed to fail short
no they don't

have a closer look at one

all christmas tree lamps fail open, that is why they fail, the filament is burnt out and is open

yes i get the understanding of wiring in series. I will probably never have to come in contact with such wiring if simply doing domestic lighting/electrics.

i have and they are definately wired in series
and the lights definately stay on when one bulb blows

i think it may be some spring arrangement in the buld but blown bulbs are ususally black which makes this hard to notice

sorry, still wrong, but we could argue till the cows come home. only answer is to do as i said get one and have a really good look (you may need magnifying glass to see)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back