Wiring problems for 2-port zone valve actuator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I have a fully pumped small bore S-plan system controlled by a programmer, cylinder stat and room stat, and two 2-port motorised zone valves.

The actuator controlling my central heating zone valve has failed and I need to replace it, however, the closest type of replacement I have doesn't have the same number of wires (and the wire colours are different). I'm sure the valve is of the correct type but I assume wiring standards have changed since the installation of my system.

The faulty zone valve actuator (sunvic) has five wires: blue, orange, yellow, white, and green/yellow.
The new zone valve actuator (danfoss randall) has four wires: blue, brown, orange, and grey.

Would anyone please be able to tell me how the wires of the new actuator correspond to those of the older faulty actuator, in simple terms please for ease of re-wiring, e.g. orange wire (on old actuator) goes to ... on new actuator.

Thanks very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
Blue - neutral
Brown - switched live from programmer / room stat
Grey - permanent live
Orange - switched live from microswitch - powers pump & boiler

NotBovvered said:
Blue - neutral
Brown - switched live from programmer / room stat
Grey - permanent live
Orange - switched live from microswitch - powers pump & boiler

Thanks 'NotBovvered', for your reply. At least I know what the wires on the new actuator represent now! Could you tell me what the wires on the older (faulty) actuator represent also please ... this will help me match up the wires when I make the exchange.

Thanks very much

Dunno - to be honest I wouldn't worry about the old wiring. Personally I would trace evrything back from the wiring centre and concentrate on wiring the new valve in correctly.

However, if I were to guess (and I am) I would think .....

Blue - neutral
Green/yellow - earth
orange - to boiler & pump
White - switched live from room stat
Yellow - permanent live

But don't take my word for it - trace it back

Sponsored Links
Whoa. Sounds like you may have an old Sunvic SM head, on an ML brass body?
These are motor-open motor-close valves and not compatible at all with the spring-return ones (eg sunvic SZ) more used today.

Find the number and we can go from there.

ChrisR said:
Whoa. Sounds like you may have an old Sunvic SM head, on an ML brass body?
These are motor-open motor-close valves and not compatible at all with the spring-return ones (eg sunvic SZ) more used today.

Find the number and we can go from there.

Hello. Yes, your description is accurate. The number on the dated (faulty) sunvic actuator is SM5203. I was hoping to trace back the wiring to the junction block but perhaps I should hold out for your thoughts on this ... if it's not a compatible replacement!

Thanks for your help on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back