Wiring Question - when finished

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have sunk my new metal boxes for light switches, and I have cut channels out for the wire up the wall (But not across the ceiling as I am lowering the ceiling anyway). I live in an old stone house, and on the exteria wall I have channeled back to the stone through the plaster.

My question is - what do I fill the channels with once the cables are in place?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I filled mine up with thistle bonding. Brush in some watered down pva into the channel and then apply the bonding.

I left mine rough, but made sure that none of it was sticking out from the wall. (Use a flat edge eg. metal ruler and scrap off the excess)Then got polyfiller and filled in the gaps and sanded smooth.

Don't forget that the cables should be run in

a) preferably - conduit

b) failing that capping.

im pretty sure you can bury direct when retrofitting

capping it to protect cables from the plasters trowl when replastering a wall

if you want to run cables outside of permitted routes you need earthed metal conduit

Sponsored Links
I was just talking about should, not must. I just think it's cheap and tacky to bury cables in such a way that you can't pull new ones in the future.

I find a good way to deal with channels is to fill with bonding, smooth down with float towel, then finish. (With finish!)

Thanks for the replies guys

If I put the cables in trunking and sink it, is it ok just to plaster over the trunking?

Can you recommend any products i could use?

Bear in mind I will probably be tiling over the area afterwards

I am thinking of using the white plastic square stuff you can get in B&Q

That's for surface mounting though. Surely the best stuff for burying is the oval pvc? 20mm oval only measures 12mm over the narrow side.

That's better B-A-S; I like the oval 'cos you can stick it to the wall with 'no nails' type stuff and don't need to chase the wall. I personally would use the one coat plaster to fill the chase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back