wiring range cooker .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am fitting a cda dual fuel range cooker .
the plate says 14.5 kw . 1054.8 g/n 230v. 50 hz . 4089w.

my previous cooker plugged into the mains but i have found a 4mm cable that supplied my old heating system and is still live . it runs about 8 feet from my cu. and is taped off in an old cupboard where pump and valves used to be and is still live . i trust i can use this . it states an omnipolar switch can be used with a min. 3mm opening . what size switch do i need .
finally , what size heat resistant cable do i need from switch to cooker .
thanks for any help .

Sponsored Links
if we assume this cooker is pulling just over 4kw,then your looking at 20a mcb at your c.u.,20a double pole switch,and 2.5 flex to yr cooker....id check this cable feed and its origin though :?:

Sorry but you need 6mm (at least depending on length, routing insulation etc) Would recommend 10mm anyway) and 32a breaker. This cooker just comes within a 32 amp breaker WITHOUT a socket on the cooker control panel

cozycats said:
This cooker just comes within a 32 amp breaker WITHOUT a socket on the cooker control panel

4089 / 230 = ??

Then, if you wish, you can do diversity.....

17.78A.......take 1st 10A and 30% of remainder... and add 5A for S/O on CCU and it comes to 17.33A.

Even if you take flc, and add the full 13A for a S/O, you still get 30.78A

So, where did you get "just within a 32A breaker WITHOUT a socket" from??

Sponsored Links
I think there is a bit of confusion between the ratings here. I am not sure wether the cooker uses the 14.5kW mentioned as the first rating, 4089w mentioned seconed or a combination of the two. 14.5kW does sound alot for a cooker although it is a range cooker so it is probably larger than a standard cooker, but if it is dual fuel then presumably some of heating is done with gas or oil reducing the amount of electric it would need.

I assumed (a bad idea for any spark to do!!) it was DF, the 14,5 being the total kW (inc gas) and 4089 (being grouped with 230V+50Hz) the electrical rating.

May be wrong...

I would go for the 4089w rating being the total amount af electric required, so the 4mm² cable should be sufficient providing no derating factors need to be applied. I thing cozycats may hav used the 14.5kW as an electrical rating, then applied diversity to come up with his rating.

RF Lighting said:
I thing cozycats may hav used the 14.5kW as an electrical rating, then applied diversity to come up with his rating.

Yeah, I thought that, but with diversity, it comes out at 30.91A including 5A for a S/O, so that's not quite right either?

Speak up, Cozy!!

thanks for replies . i was wrong about size of cable . it is 6mm and used to feed cooker in kitchen . i have found the rest of it behind plaster in kitchen . the fuse has been removed from my cu which is 30a - 250v .

i did a search for answers but could not find a question for same output .
specs are here http://onefitappliances.co.uk/smx/s...ker_dual_fuel_1000mm_wide_in_stainless_steel/

your help has been great and hugely apprciated . thank you.

Overall power rating 5.4kW 30A.

5,4 = 23.48A

If you don't want to apply diversity and have a S/O on the CCU, that boosts the figure to 36.48A, in which case you are better off with 10mm2.

It's your call, as they say...

its another week before splashbacks go up, but a lot of work wraggling wall as my tiles are down and bottom units and worktop are fixed and sealed .. is it possible to run it for a week to see if its o/k i.e. could it run o/k then go tits up in a fortnight .

The cooker spec says
"Main oven grill power rating: 2 kW
Small oven grill power rating: 1.6 kW
Overall power rating 5.4 kW
Power supply required: 30 amp"

30A looks to me like more than enough

Might be less trouble to have a CCU with no integral socket on it, or one day someone will plug in a kettle while you're cooking Christmas dinner and using max power.

Due to the individual thermostats, it will be very difficult for the cooker to take max power for long, except if you turn both oven on, from cold, at the same time, until one of them comes up to temp.

You mention the "fuse" is out and is 30Amp, this suggests you have a very old fusebox which may be unsuitable, can you see what make and colour it is, and does it have a max load rating next to the main switch?

Do you also have an electric shower fed from it?

its ancient . old plug fuses with fuse wire . copper colour . m.e.m. of birmingham are the makers . its runs up to 45 amps where applicable . max. load 16500 . no shower . running lights , sockets and 5mm has been written in a box which could be a shower , this will be replaced for a steam -shower in a fortnight . this will run off my new boiler but knowing my luck will require loads of power and my gas wont cope with demand either and its off to e-bay . i will get a sparky to come look . :idea:
flapping now . :rolleyes: pulled fuse no shower .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back