Wiring two lighting circuits in singles in conduits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a series of GU10 wall lights round the edge of my flat roof, something like this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/FL5501.JPG

Half the lights will be 4W LED running dusk to dawn, the other half 50W halogen on a PIR or Timer. I'm going to use singles running in 20mm PVC conduit. The questions are:

1. Can I use a different colour for the second circuit, if so, which one?
2. Can I share the neutral between both circuits?
3. Is there a smaller solution to hold the conduit than standard saddle clamps?

Sponsored Links
You can use any colour you like, (except green-and-yellow) as long as you mark it as live at termination points with brown sleeving. Yes, you can share the neutrals if they are on the same fuse.

1. You can use any colour you like but it must be identified at the point of termination in the regulation colours of Brown, Blue and Green/yellow.
2.NO you may not share a neutral between two circuits if they are supplied by different OCD's
3.Standard saddles are the only available support for conduit, hospital saddles would be worse.

Sponsored Links
Over Current Device.

Basically an all encompassing term for fuse MCB RCD etc...

RF Lighting said:
Over Current Device.

C'mon RF, you ought to know better than that ;)

I was refering to when it is used for protection against a fault between phase and CPC on a TT supply ;)

RF Lighting said:
Over Current Device.

Apologies if I'm reading this too literally, but in what way is an RCD an over current device? :confused:

Softus said:
RF Lighting said:
Over Current Device.

Apologies if I'm reading this too literally, but in what way is an RCD an over current device? :confused:

It will trip if there is any earth leakage current over its mA rating .................... :LOL:

ricicle said:
Softus said:
RF Lighting said:
Over Current Device.

It will trip if there is any earth leakage current over its mA rating .................... :LOL:
A tenuous definition recicle, since the natural progression of that would mean that my knob is an over current device. :eek:

Softus said:
ricicle said:
Softus said:
RF Lighting said:
Over Current Device.

A tenuous definition recicle, since the natural progression of that would mean that my knob is an over current device. :eek:

Explain please :confused:

ricicle said:
Explain please :confused:
My [unqualified] understanding of the term "over current" is that it describes the condition wherein the current in a conductor (and hence circuit) is greater than the safe operating capacity of that conductor, in a particular installation, for an unacceptable duration. This is why I fail to see why a pure RCD (i.e. not an RCBO), which will allow an infinite over current condition, as long as there is no earth leakage, can be classed an as OCD (over current device).

I sensed that you weren't being serious about an RCD being an OCD, so my 'knob' earth leakage detector observation was a whimsical (but plausible) suggestion that, because it would make a reasonably sensitive ELD, my penis could also be classed as an OCD. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back