Wiring unearthed cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a new stainless steel cooker hood. Unlike my existing canopy type which plugs into normal 13 amp outlet (within the cooker socket), this hood has only a two core cable and bears the double insulated sign.The manual says to "connect the cord to a socket or ominpolar switch which must have a minimum contact opening of 3mm".
Will it be enough to connect a 13 amp plug using only the L & N connections ( as obviously there is no earth cable) with a 3 amp fuse and use the original socket, or will I have to install a new omnipolar (what's that?) fcu? If so, can I run a cable from the original socket to the FCU?

Sponsored Links
Cooker hoods are one place I do NOT trust "double insulation" where the exposed surface is metal.

What ever the instructions say I would earth the frame.

A cold hood and a pan of boiling water on the hob and condensation inside the hood may over come the double insulation.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

I understand your reservations, which up till now I have shared. However, it appears to me (following a visit to Currys & B&Q)that the majority of hoods are now double insulated, and carry the instruction "this appliance MUST NOT be earthed". This includes top brand names such as Miele etc. Therefore I am now happy to accept the principle despite it being rather alien to me. I am just concerned about how to wire it up properly.
I have removed a hob unit which will not be replaced so I have a spare cooker power point on a radial 32a circuit. Can I use this to wire to a 3a FCU next to the hood, into which the hood will be directly fed? Should (must) I use the existing cooker cable to wire in to FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back