Wiring up fluorescent light - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to wire the two cables of wires previously going to a rose on ceiling onto a new fluorescent strip light. One cable is from light switch other cable from somewhere else??? The two red wires I have put in a connector and wound up with insulating tape and pushed to one side. The black wire with a red sheaf I've connected to the connector with a brown wire opposite - live. The other black wire to the connector with a blue wire opposite - neutral. The two bare wires held in green/yellow sheaf to the connector with green/yellow wire opposite - earth....the light doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That should be the way to connect it by the sound of the red taped black.

Double check your connections (eg broken off wire, screw down on insulation)

If that doesn't show anything then I'm afraid it's time to get a multimeter out.If you are not confident in using one then seek the services of a competant spark.

EDIT:Have you got the tube in properly or is the starter in properly?

It sounds like you have connected it up correctly, do you have 240v present across the L&N connections on the fitting when measured with a multimeter? Your multimeter should be set to volts AC and a minimum of 250v.
A few of the possibilities are a loose wire, faulty choke, dodgy starter or dodgy tube.

Beaten by ricicle!!

Thanks for that, though I was hoping someone had said I had wired it up wrong. :)
Multimeter? :rolleyes: Have no idea what or how to use one.

I'm sure bulb is in correctly and starter is pushed i& twisted in correctly. Maybe I've bought a bum un. Thanks anyway lads, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
willin't'learn said:
Multimeter? :rolleyes: Have no idea what or how to use one.
:eek:

well what are you doing installing a light?

you wouldn't expect a carpenter to have no saw would you?

In case anyone is interested and just to let you know, I did get the light working. The way I described I had wired it up must have been correct. Only I hadn't wired it up as I said I had. I had put the two red wires into two seperate connectors, once I had put them into one conector - so they actually connected - BINGO! :oops:

Next project - the light projected from the one fluorescent light isn't enough for the size of the room. So I'm gonna try to link it to another fluorescent light operated from the same switch. I may well be back should it not work. :rolleyes:

PS. I bought a saw at BQ today, so I'm thinking of becoming a carpenter ;)

I've got an oily rag.

I'm thinking of becoming an engineer...

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back