wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing a dimmer switch, the trouble is, it is on a two way switch and the dimmer is only one way. i am planning on removing the first switch as it is not used. How do i remove the switch at the bottom of the stairs so that the one at the top is just a one way dimmer.

The switch at the bottom of the stairs has 4 wires, (one not currently being used) which consist of 3 red and 1 black and earth. the switch at the top has 2 red and a black.... what do i do!!!!

Sponsored Links
Live, neutral & earth go into dimmer. Switch live neutral & earth come out to light. You need two 1mm twin and earth cables.
At bottom of stairs you have 3 used wires. One live from upstairs and two switched lives returning. As you no longer need it disconnect from both switches and tape up, or preferably connect to choc block, in case needed later. I think you will find that the cable is continuous and missing red wire is just cut off short.

May I recommend that if the light being switched by a dimmer is in the hall - then it not be a dimmer... and be switched from the bottom of the stairs - there are some quite obvious safety reasons as to why we have 2 ways on the stair lights... no less so you don't fall and break your neck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back