Wood Base Instead of Concrete ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at building a base for my shed. Spoke to a mate who said that, instead of p*ss*ng about with mixing and pouring concrete, just use wood. Wondered if anyone else has used this method, and if there are any pro's / cons ??

Sponsored Links
perhaps he miss understood?

the floor is wood but the base it stands on should be concrete

you may get away with pressure treated joists, but i doubt it

No, he didn't misunderstand. I explained what I wanted to do, and asked to borrow the company mixer :) He said yeah, no probs. Then he said why not build it out of wood ? Hammer in some posts, cut them level 4" off the ground, build a frame round the posts, joists in between, board on top, shed on top of that..... jobs a good 'un....... apparently! :confused:

In theory it sounds ok, and although I know that a concrete base is the tried and tested method (I have done one before), just wondered whether anyone has built one, and if it has been proven fit for purpose.

He's suggesting you build a decking style base, doable but if you have access to a mixer then it's a no brainer, the concrete option will be cheaper and last forever.

Sponsored Links
Wood base---
Subject to Rot
Could "bounce" with extra weight.
Nice little hidy place for local vermin to make families underneath.

Concrete base---
Easy and quick to install
Last forever
Maintainence free.

Hi, All,
I tend to agree on the concrete option, it ain't all that to do it, it's cheap, easy, best.
On the mixer front, I'd buy one, and a couple of bandstands etc, they can be stored away and last forever unless you lend them out.

Thanks guys.......... after thinking about it, by the time I've knocked the framing up and p*ss*d about with everything else, I'd have knocked up the concrete and laid it !!

Concrete it is then. Got a mixer to hand, just need to get the materials :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back