Wooden Blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to fit some wooden blinds but can't believe the price for made to measure.

I have found some in that well known swedish shed that that are just to wide and would need approx 10mm cut off each end.

Has anyone attempted this?

Was thinking of using a mitre saw but worried about splintering!

Sponsored Links
You can only cut off, dependant on the assembly method, ie the slots for strings etc..So you need to go look see & measure. It only requires time/patience then.

You could try binding the ends tightly with masking tape and then finding a joinery shop to do it on a bench saw, or doing itself with a circular saw.

stevenrafferty said:
Has anyone attempted this?
Yes, I use masking tape to hold it all together and a hacksaw to cut it in the middle of the masking tape.

Sponsored Links
Ideally cut an equal bit of both sides - takes twice as long but ensures the blind looks "right" when it is hung.

I did a full length blind (around 40 slats) this way with a hand saw. Took ages but I am pleased with the result.

You may need to give the cut edges a quick sand after they have been cut.

It may also be necessary to stain the cut edges as these may be a different colour from the rest of the slats. This is obviously more of a problem if the blind is not fitted into a recess.

Hope this helps :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back