Wooden Double Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have all but one window at the rear of my house done in wooden double glazing. I plan to treat them this summer to prevent corrosion etc, can anyone suggest the best method for treating wooden windows?

I had some quotes for the front of my house, the guy said that wooden double glazing is a waste of time because after a few years the unit "blows" because they get penetrated by water and you end up with condensation inside the unit. I realise that wooden windows take a lot more maintenance, but they do look nicer! Can anyone confirm or refute the claim that wooden double glazing is a waste of time?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
matt80 said:
I have all but one window at the rear of my house done in wooden double glazing. I plan to treat them this summer to prevent corrosion etc, can anyone suggest the best method for treating wooden windows?
Any oil treatment such as Tung Oil

I had some quotes for the front of my house, the guy said that wooden double glazing is a waste of time because after a few years the unit "blows" because they get penetrated by water and you end up with condensation inside the unit. I realise that wooden windows take a lot more maintenance, but they do look nicer! Can anyone confirm or refute the claim that wooden double glazing is a waste of time?!
I'm afraid you have been told a load of rubbish, I have fitted load of upvc windows and they do bow and get jammed unlike hardwood which is the best way to go and treat it with oil. Condensation has nothing with upvc or hardwood, it's when the seal unit has failed. Also see this

matt80 said:
Hi,

Thanks!

That is rubbish, wood is always going to be better than upvc, although there is more maintenance as you say, they look a lot better !!!

The part about units blowing in wooden windows is also a load of bull. If the sealed unit is made right in the first place and is glazed into the frame the right way, there should be no problems and your windows and glass will last for many, many years

I had some quotes for the front of my house, the guy said that wooden double glazing is a waste of time because after a few years the unit "blows" because they get penetrated by water and you end up with condensation inside the unit.

he didnt work for a company that only does pvc or ally double glazing by any chance did he :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
sounds like a sales pitch.

the units (glass) are sealed, so even if the wood did "blow" how is water going to get in?

So then, does anyone know the mechanics of why sealed DG units 'blow'?
Can they be repaired & resealed?

..............I had some quotes for the front of my house, the guy said that wooden double glazing is a waste of time because after a few years the unit "blows" because they get penetrated by water and you end up with condensation inside the unit...............

Rob Roy said:
So then, does anyone know the mechanics of why sealed DG units 'blow'?
Can they be repaired & resealed?
A double glazed sealed unit may mist up inside because of failure of the unit seal, a lot depend how the sealed unit was made and how it's fitted into the frame. It's mostly because the wrong size rubber seal and not pushing onto the glass unit enough therefore the outer glass start to drop down slightly letting in moisture. It got nothing to do with whether it's timber or upvc but I will say the difference is that unlike upvc is the sealed units are not drained out and not ventilated. All failed seal unit will need replacing. One of the biggest problem when cleaning window is washing up liquid which will attacks and degrades the seals and shouldn't be use.
s-unit-section.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back