Wooden driveway gates

Dru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace low wrought iron driveway gates with solid wooden gates between 5 & 6 feet high. I know that I need planning permission for this but who do I get to install them? Is it a joiner or builder? I can't find any local (Leeds) company that deals with wooden driveway gates so am a bit stumped.

My driveway is in my back garden so I want the new gates to provide privacy and security hence the height. I am in the process of putting together my planning application so any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
A traditional "joiner", a "joiner and builder" or possibly a "fencing contractor"?

If you are having them made the original joiner's shop should be able to do the job for you

Scrit

Dru said:
I want to replace low wrought iron driveway gates with solid wooden gates between 5 & 6 feet high. I know that I need planning permission for this but who do I get to install them? Is it a joiner or builder? I can't find any local (Leeds) company that deals with wooden driveway gates so am a bit stumped.

My driveway is in my back garden so I want the new gates to provide privacy and security hence the height. I am in the process of putting together my planning application so any advice would be welcome.

What makes you so sure you need permission, not that its relevent to your question.

Sponsored Links
My house is on a corner plot so 3 sides are next to a public highway (pavement & road). Planning regulations state that no fence (or gate) can exceed 1m in height if it's less than 1m from a public highway. If the fence/gate is more than 1 m from a public highway then planning permission would only be required for a height greater than 2m.

I have been surprised by how few fence people are aware of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back