Worcester Bosch ZWBR 7-28 HE PLUS - Fault Code C1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had the electric board re-routing my mains supply today and i have had no power to our house. Once re-connected, my boiler is fault coding C1 - Fan speed too low?

I do not know if the electricity is a red herring or just that the fan is U/S. Is it a easy fix? what cost can i expect for a replacement fan? Any internet sites that my be able to supply?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to reset the boiler.

Would put the slow fan speed down to a faulty PCB, which could have been caused from electric surge possibly?

have tried the reset, with no sucess.

I have also switched the mains feed off and back on several times, this clears the fault. Then when i turn on a hot tap, the fault reoccurs.

BG want 144 puonds to fix. Is this resonable?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
haven said:

If a major part is replaced then yes. They make their money because people dont check the basic.

Not familiar with this boielr (by name at least) - can you hear the fan running at full speed when the boiler tries to fire? Or does it not get that far?

i had this very recently.
mine was a very exceptional set of circumstances but the principle may still apply.

fan speed too low is obviously a fault with the fan or the pcb supplying/checking that.

in my case a heavy rain shower had filled the fan with water.

you can completely strip these fans down to base componenets in a few seconds. i would start by checking the connections and if that shows no joy, remove the fan, strip it down and check for any obvious signs of overheated components. i doubt you can replace any of them but at least it may prove the fan is faulty rather than the pcb.

tbh if it was all off for the leccy board my gut would say the pcb isnt sending 240(probably lower dc voltage on this model) to the fan.

haven said:

I have also switched the mains feed off and back on several times, this clears the fault. Then when i turn on a hot tap, the fault reoccurs.

Thanks in advance

WB would charge you £185 set fee including 3 parts, so makes BG sound reasonable, except WB would fix it fist time :LOL:

I am not sure about the Worcester but the fan speed on the vaillant is a bit of an oddity.

Its the PCB which tells the fan what speed to run at to give the power output required.

I think that the vaillant fault code is internally generated within the PCB and has nothing to do with what the fan is actually doing.

The fans usually have a magnet and Hall effect sensor to compare the actual speed with the requested speed and operate a servo loop.

The Worcester may be different but most seem to have the same arrangement if not virtually the same fan.

If you take to plastic fan PCB cover off ( usually Torx screws ) then you can inspect and often see a burnt or particularly a component that has "exploded".

Tony

gas4you said:
haven said:

Thanks in advance

WB would charge you £185 set fee including 3 parts, so makes BG sound reasonable, except WB would fix it fist time :LOL:

so would anyone if they had a van full of WB bits.

I have just had exactly the same problem with my worcester he plus. According to my plumber, you need to check for 240 volts across the blue and white wires on the fan - I think there are about 5 wires . If that's OK then it's the fan, if not, it's the pcb. Mine was the fan.

I've just bought a new fan and the cheapest one I could find online was through keeptheheaton.com - ordered it yesterday, arrived today.

The plumber has said with a power surge it is possible for it to happen again. He suggested I could purchase a mains fail and surge suppressor as a precaution for the future.

I am just adding a note to the end of this thread as it helped me correctly diagnose a similar problem on my Greenstar 30 HE.
We woke up to discover all the house electrics had been tripped during the night. After resetting the electrics I found the boiler would not fire up - C1 fault code. I could check that there was mains voltage across the blue and white wires at the fan so I ordered a new one.
When I removed the non-working fan I could see blackened areas on the fan assy circuit board, these components burning out was obviously the cause of the mains tripping.
The new fan has restored everything back to normal. I paid £138 including next day delivery, much cheaper than local sources. Seems quite a lot for (probably) a rectifier failure but it is worth it to have hot water again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back