Worcester Econaheat Heatslave Combi; plane going down noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old combi boiler (Worcester Econaheat Heatslave) which has served me well for several years now. It provides both hotwater and central heating for my flat.

However, two days ago it started to make a strange noise when the heating was running. How can I describe the sound, ahem...like a plane going down during the first world war! The thing is, it all seems to work fine, only this decreasing pitch noise is unusual. (This also happens when I run the hot tap). Any thoughts as to the cause? :LOL:
Any help much appreciated.
:?:

Sponsored Links
Possibly the fan (bearings or cooling metal fan blade rubbing on fan housing or the pump may need replacing.

Sounds like an overheating noise to me, inadequate circulation through a heat exchanger due to clogging with deposits. Only I'd have said 2nd World War plane going down, so it can't be that...... ;)

Sponsored Links
Chrishutt is spot on , lost count of how many ive heard that try to be a lancaster bomber when the gas to water heat exchanger gets restricted/blocked ,three options ,clean out the system 30% chance of working.replace gas to water heat ex 100% but only untill it drags in more debri from system or get a new boiler as yours has to be at least 17 years old if its a ECONOHEAT model. ps for a short term fix the hot water gas rate can be reduced to around 8-10mb but performance will drop.

Thanks for the invaluable advice gents, will clean out system and replace gas to water heat exchanger.
G:cool:

To be effective you need to power flush the whole system as well as cleaning any parts of the boiler which are affected.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back