worcester greenstar 28 he plus Fault Code C1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Had a phone call from my sister who has a worcester greenstar 28 he plus combi running on LPG.

She has had a series of power cuts, as many as 15 in about 3 hours, and when the power finally came on, her boiler was showing fault code C1 which is something to do with the fan (I think!)
Does anyone know what generally leads to this fault code, or if the power cuts could have damaged the boiler? Is there any quick fix for this fault or is it something that will require an engineer? Her partner is an electrician, so if it's something electrical he may be able to fix with the right advice.
Where she lives is rather remote, and she has been quoted over £200 call out plus labour and parts, so at that rate she wouldn't be far off buying a new boiler!!!
Does anybody have an engineers manual for this boiler that I could take a look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated- you all seem very helpful and knowledgeable...

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
cannot find a 28he plus combi but the c1 code is fan speed too low all you can do is check all the connections and fan, replace as req this is for the r25& 30 he combi

Tried switching off, will check connections and clean them etc...

the link doesn't work....

Any other ideas?

Does anyone know where she could go to buy a replacement fan from?

Sponsored Links
you would be better to call the manufacturers out as it may need a new board they should have all the bits on the van otherwise you may purchase a fan and find it is the board. this boiler only ran for a few years so maybe worc know something rgi's do not

The C1 fault code is generated by the PCB as an indication but it is not a definitive statement of the faulty component. Its probably more likely to be the PCB has been damaged by voltage spikes.

Unfortunately, apart from Ideal, most manufacturers dont take much trouble protecting boilers from mains bourne interference and potentially harmful voltage spikes.

Having an LPG fuel source makes me expect that she lives in the countryside and is supplied by a rural distribution network with overhead power cables which are prone to lightening strikes and static discharges.

If this is the case it might be well worth while feeding the boiler from a good quality mains filter and surge supressor as sold for computers.

Coincidentally, I had to repair a Potty Paramount boiler in a Synagogue which had been damaged by mains surges which had damaged the fan. The Vaillant in the kitchen had its PCB and supply transformer blown.

Tony Glazier

Call out Worcester. Most you'll pay is 185.00 for C1 fault which will be the fan or board...most likely the fan though. Been to quite a few where the non return diaphram (bosch call it a bearing plate) has broken away and ingested in to the fan.

jiminblack, - thanks for your advice; Worcester are attending wednesday- hopefully it won't be too serious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back