Working in Canada

S

sparkyspike

Any UK sparkies done work in Canada? I'm thinking of moving there, and getting work as a sparky whilst running a ski lodge in the winter, but imagine there are many obstacles such as Visas, registration etc. And is it 120v?

Sponsored Links
I should imagine its very similar to the US:

its 110v to ground, a house will normally have two phases, 180 degrees apart (so 220v phase-phase), Neutral is white, hot(phase) is black, the other hot is red (so 220v between red and black :) ), there is a third phase that only appears in industrial services coloured blue and thats halfway between the two (so 90 degrees out of phase with each) called the 'wild leg'

They call T&E 'romex', it has paper under the outer sheathing, no reduced csa cpc, and they don't sleeve it, earthing is I believe very similar to TNC-S, but the link being made in the main panel, also I beleive an electrode is used to help tie it down more to physical earth

Can I re-direct you to www.electricial-contractor.net ? usful forum over there :)

That's quite interesting. What do they use the biphase 220v for?

Thaks for your advice. :D

sparkyspike said:
That's quite interesting. What do they use the biphase 220v for?

Thaks for your advice. :D

To reduce the amperage needed for heating, cooking and other power hungry equipment. On 110volt a one kilowatt heater is 10 amps meaning larger cross section wires were needed.

Sponsored Links
Thought so. Sounds like I could use UK equipment over there without using transformers. It's 50 Hz isn't it?

no its 60hz, not that a transformer will help you in that regard. Most equipment will tollerate it but some will not. A small ammount of equipment also doesn't like having a "neutral" that isn't roughly at earth potential.

note also that unless you rewire you probablly won't have 240V in many rooms so transformers or long extention leads are likely to be needed.

you may find the information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nema_connectors usefull to figure out which type of socket is which and where you can get 240V when you move over there.

your mate seems to know electrics quite well good :D advice

its march7th the temperature is -39c are you sure you don't want to rethink if so try Alberta their crying for trades people
good luck

Thanks everyone. I'm still thinking about it. Have to toss up between skiing and the sun!

Sponsored Links
Back