working in spain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a qualified English spark( 2381, 2391 etc) work in Spain, or would they have to "retrain". I've noticed that there are a few sparks from different countries in the EU working in England, so it can't be that difficult...(yes, I think my holiday blues have just kicked in nicely, been back 2 days) :cry:

Sponsored Links
they would have to comply with local regs, but i have seen non uk sparks here, and they seem to think they are still working at home.

Probably cheaper and better to get local spark, that way you save on additional air fare

there are two things you need to find out about

1: legal requirements (like our part poo and EAW)
2: accepted standards (like our IEE wiring regs) that don't hold the force of law but which you will have a lot less hassle if you follow.

I have worked in SPain, and there is no issues for UK registered Electricians working there.

However if this is paid employment/self employed then you do need to register at a local Police Station in order to get an equivelent of our NI number. You can work without this, but you will be a fool as without it you will not be able to get Insurance cover and should you have an accident you would have to pay for your medical care, even though your a UK citizen, as you would be deemed as working illegally.

You need to know that they do not have the wholesaler network like we do in the UK, suppliers are few and far between so you would need the financial clout to keep a reasonable stock of the most common items needed..such as sockets, switches, roses etc

Sponsored Links
Big_Spark, thanks for that info. Makes me want to speed up the plans to emigrate.... Meanwhile I've got to fix the family house out there.

Does anyone know if there are any further registration requirements for self-certifying your work - like our part pee or otherwise ? Either for domestic or commercial ?

Secondly, are there spanish wiring regs and legal codes that must be followed, and if so does anyone have any info you can offer on them ?

many thanks.

Rupert vdP

You would not be able to self-certify your own work in Spain unless you had your qualification validated

Depending on the outcome you would have to complete either a 2000 hours course which would bring you up to FP2 which is the Spanish equivalent to ( what was part 2 C&G 236)

If they automatically give you this FP2 then a 100 hours course in Spanish would have to be done with an exam

If you want me to write out the whole process i will as i´d written it for a web site a while ago but at the moment can´t just seem to find it

Is it possible to rewire your entire house in Spain if you are not a qualified electrician provided you get local qualified one to test and certify it (i.e. non-commercial work)?

Also, if you do things to meet British standards, will this meet Spanish standards or not necessarily (i.e. are standards/products, etc. standardised in the EU?)? I understand that it used to be the case (a while back now) that British electrical standards were higher/stricter than those in Spain.

Thanks a lot! :)

Note:
This was asked by andypandy PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42

andypandy stopped posting in 2007, (3 posts in 2007)

Sponsored Links
Back