Working to regs in ROI?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to start a project in Southern Ireland, 5 domestic new builds. Sounds like a holiday from the grind in Manchester.

I'm a fully qualified spark in the uk, and work to BS7671. What regs need to be adhered to in the ROI, any building control notification required as per Part P etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ant

Sponsored Links
I have been offerd a re-wire in Mayo, I have been pondering the same question.

I am fairly sure that your qualifications and the regs in the UK are now standard across europe.

I know in the ROI that all the systems used here are the same so I would not worry to much.

I personally will be contacting the local Corporation (same as our council) to check before I go over.

They tend to be fairly helpful over there, and they are desperately short of sparks!!

I bet ATES could tell you all about it, since he posted 5 months ago :LOL:

the local regs here in ireland for domestic is the ETCI regs book National Rules for Electrical Instalations its a yellow book.I think our rules are similar to yours but not be as strict

Sponsored Links
The one thing you need to check is the ESB (Electricity Supply Board) will connect the houses that you wire. They are very strict with the sparks when they are called out to new builds or rewires. Most sparks are RECI or ECSSA registered.

Quote from http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/safety_at_home.jsp

If you are having a new house wired or having existing wiring renewed or extended you should get an ETCI Completion Certificate from your electrical contractor. This certificate is your contractor's statement that the installation complies with the National Wiring Rules. This certificate will also be required before a new supply can be connected

Quote from http://www.reci.ie/index.html

Only registered electrical contractors would be authorised to sign the ETCI certificates of completion. It would be unlawful for an non-registered person to hold themselves out as been registered.

Back