Worktop extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I should post this here - hope so!

I want to replace a piece of worktop in my new flat. The kitchen is an Ikea kitchen, so I can buy the worktop to match no problems. I'm just not sure what is best to do. The current piece of worktop is about 70cm and has a unit of drawers underneath. The idea would be to extend this worktop along a wall, to use it as a kind of breakfast bar. We thought we could remove the current worktop and then replace it with a 185cm long piece - so it would be supported at one end by the cupboard, and then by poles at the other end. Would this work or are we best to just join another piece to the already exsting piece? The builder reackoned it would need supporting underneath as well - would that make it strong enough?

Advice would be gratefully received, as I have to explain in French to my builder exactly what we want, and I want to make sure I get it all correct!!

Sponsored Links
all in one is best looks better and gives better support

4ft is a long span unsuported for a full width worktop

if the back edge is supported by a batton you could put one pole central along the front and another at the end

All in one definitely looks better.

I have a breakfast bar supported at one end by a 400mm wide base cabinet and an adjustable breakfast bar leg at the other. I have two 40mm angle brackets fixing the worktop to the back wall, it's 1760mm overall with a span of 1200mm between the cabinet and the leg.

With a 40mm thick worktop you should be able to span the distance no problem, I've climbed on mine many times to reach on top of the wall cupboards - and at nearly 16 stone I'm no lightweight.

If it's a 30mm thick worktop I would suggest you follow Big-All's advice and put another adjustable leg in the middle.

It's a 38mm thick worktop - 606mm deep. I guess I'll replace the whole piece, with the baton support underneath and the pole support at the other end. I don't think I'm going to be climbing on it, as there are cupboards above it, so hopefully it should be fine. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
amyboo said:
It's a 38mm thick worktop - 606mm deep. I guess I'll replace the whole piece, with the baton support underneath and the pole support at the other end. I don't think I'm going to be climbing on it, as there are cupboards above it, so hopefully it should be fine. Thanks for the help!

you can use these and the supporting rings to fit them there is 5 in a pack
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=89971

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back