Worktop Lights

R

ryanj

Worktop Lights.

Should I power these from the lighting circuit or the kitchen ring main?

Also should these be switched independantly or on the same switch as the master kitchen light?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
ryanj said:
Worktop Lights.

Should I power these from the lighting circuit or the kitchen ring main?
Lighting circuit is better, as then you don't have to mess about with FCUs

Also should these be switched independantly or on the same switch as the master kitchen light?
If you wire them as part of the lighting circuit, that would be entirely up to you. Most people would probably go for independent, but there's no technical reason - just decide if you want to switch them on independently or not.

If you power them from the ring then obviously they would have to be switched independently, and with a separate switch in a separate box - you could not use a 2-gang switch.

I've decided to use a 3-gang switch for the kitchen.

Gang 1 - Main Lights
Gang 2 - Worktop Lights
Gang 3 - Outside Light

Is there any problem with that?

Also, I planned to put the outside light on it's own circuit, would it be a problem to put it in the same box as the switches from the other circuit?

Or is there a regulation that doesn't want me doing that?

Thanks,
Ryan

all should be on same cct.

one cct goes, you need to check switch, very big surprise its still live from other cct

Sponsored Links
Maybe he's just realizing he's wired different ccts into the same switches in hundreds of houses in the area...

No, silly!

I'm the guy who comes along to a house that has two different ccts in an accessory box, and found out the hard way!!

Not that I would really because I never assume anything and always test......!!

breezer said:
all should be on same cct.

one cct goes, you need to check switch, very big surprise its still live from other cct

Off topic, but a sparky visiting my industrial unit told me I had three lights served by a three gang switch, and each one was on a different phase. :eek:

Is it against regs to do that then or just bad practice? Is it something I should get changed by the original installers?

:confused:

i don't think there are any regs specifically forbidding different cuircuits in the same box (correct me if im wrong here)

it is considered bad pratice with domestic lighting but is often unavoidable in commercial situations because each switch can be running at near the full cuircuit load

if theyare on different phases though the switch should have a danger 415V sticker on it

As far as I am aware, if it is possible to make contact with two live parts that are fed from different phases, then a warning label should be present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back