worktops- again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok! all tips appreciated.

i am fitting kitchen worktops but walls are not square (wavey). 2 choices as I see it 1. cut back of wortop to fit to wall 2. gouge chanel in wall to slot worktop into where wall sticks out.

What do you reccomend? also if I go for option 1. whats the best way of measuring out to ensure a snug fit?

cheers

Sponsored Links
If possible ,it would pay you to stick plasterboard to the wall to straighten it up,especially if you are tiling it

fraid not possible. As worktops have been cut by ikea (U shaped) and need then to fit 90% and flush against wall

Sponsored Links
A quick calculation for you:

Worktops are normally 600mm wide. Carcasses are normally 570mm deep and the doors add another 18mm to that (plus 2mm stand-off for the hinges) = 590mm. So the maximum you can trim off the back of a worktop is 10mm + whatever the depth of the tiles is, say 6mm (with adhesive), i.e. a total of 16mm. In other words you don't have a lot to play with. If the gap is really bad, say 25 to 30mm the bow will be noticeable in any case - more so if tiled - so you'll need to build the plasterwork up to somewhere near the line of the back of the worktop. The only other approach is to add a wooden filler piece or tile finish strip below your tiling.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back