Would an FCU be the answer to this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit two double sockets into my new conservatory. I suppose the best way to do this is to add them to the ring circuit. However, I'm having trouble routing just one cable into the conservatory, let alone two. So, if I am able to only route only one cable, would it be OK to run it to an FCU then to each of the sockets in turn? With a 13A fuse in the FCU I would be protecting the spur from overload, wouldn't I?

Sponsored Links
Kev,

Yes it is perfectly acceptable to run multiple sockets on one 2.5mm2 cable 'downstream' of a FCU with 13A fuse - the FCU is the protection against overloading the cable.

Alternatively if the cable is only feeding the conservatory you could run a single cable as a radial circuit with an appropriate MCB in the consumer unit (16A or 20A is normally ok for 2.5mm though it will depend on how the cable is routed - if it passes through insulation or is in conduit etc.)

The length of run will also be relevant as voltage drop may require a 4mm2 cable to be run.

As the sockets could also be used for plugging in appliances for use outside the circuit would have to be rcd protected also, either at the consumer unit or via rcd sockets.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Regards

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back