Would you be bothered? What would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In 2 weeks I'm due to sign for my new apartment. I was given the address details some weeks ago and I'm in the process of arranging delivery of furniture, carpets, BT etc.....

However.. If I use the postcode given to me, WS1 2DN, on ANY route finder or mapping website the result ends up in a different area of town. No problem for local deliveries as they will use the road name but any delivery company or visitor that relies on maps, directions or GPS and therefor submits the postcode is going to be directed to the wrong area completely.

I've spoken to Royal Mail who were not interested at all. They confirmed it was the correct postcode for my property but somehow it's physical location (longitude and latitude) is incorrect.

What steps can I take? Is it worth bothering with?

Sponsored Links
JamesG said:
What steps can I take? Is it worth bothering with?
Yes, you're right I'm getting the location in the middle of between two roads ! They will find you if they really wanted to and I know the road is Loriners Grove. I had many wrong postcode but still deleivered to my correct address ! Your postcode does point you the right town area though. Might be an idea to e-mail one of them like multimap.co.uk to see if they can explains this as they may need to know as well.

I had a flat that had two postcodes, depending on which database you looked at. Either code got the package there.

From what I could fathom, the Royal Mail database is slightly different to some commercial database that many companies use.

Hi

From experience I know that multimap follows the official Royal Mail postcodes, so I don't think that will help. What did help us, was (as a business, that might have helped) to inform our council and they (yes, really!) put in a request to Royal Mail to correct and/or renew our postcode. Which they DID!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I did actually contact Multimap who said their information came from different sources and they generally wait until X amount of people have complained before amending the database.

If everything arrives ok then I will live with it but if my fridge ends up elsewhere complants will be made.

JamesG said:
Thanks for the replies. I did actually contact Multimap who said their information came from different sources and they generally wait until X amount of people have complained before amending the database.
I suppose you could get the whole road to sign a petition form and send it on

James, postcode issues notwithstanding look on the bright side...this is the area which is responsible for the fried Mars Bar! ;)

Think of the benefits, with bills getting waylaid :)

Sorry I was out walking the Lurcher, We prefer the term ***** not Gypsies ;)

******, gypsies, thieves......................the list goes on and on and on

Sponsored Links
Back