Writing euros

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed for some time that people in different countries refer to the currency units of "euros" in different ways. For instance, my French colleagues pronounce it "urr-oh", in both singular and plural (in French you only hear the "s" if there is a letter after it, so euro and euros are pronounced the same). That's not really a problem, after all "pound" comes out as "paaand" in Essex, "poand" in Newcastle, "poond" in Scotland, no doubt there are many more pronunciations.

But, something that bothered me was the way it was written. Of course, the € is used by all, and we all call the singular form "euro". But for me, as a Briton, I would write 5 euros as €5... Only after they've pried my pounds sterling from my cold dead fingers, of course. ;) However, in many countries they would write 5€ (which just looks wrong to me!)

From the EU website it looks like the British-style is the correct one (they don't explicitly say it, but that is how they write it on there). However, it turned up something else! Lookee here. Turns out, that in English we are officially meant to use "euro" and "cent" as the plural too. Not a big deal to some (I have heard many people say "ten pound" instead of "ten pounds", for instance), but not really fair seeing as other languages are allowed a plural form, and Germany is allowed to capitalise it as Euro (the only language that does). :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back