XP Media Center of Professional

Discussion in 'Software' started by chainsaw_masochist, 11 Dec 2006.

1. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    I want to get a laptop for my folks and I am going to have to choose as to whether it comes loaded with XP Professional and XP Media Centre. My own experience only goes as far as XP (Home Edition) which is now no longer supported. I have heard some bad things about Media Center and for an extra £35 I wonder if it is better to go for the Pro? This will be their first PC by the way. Thanks for any help. :)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Igorian

Igorian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    According to M$, mainstream support for the Home edition will continue for two years after the release of the next version of Windows.

As to home or Media, it would depend, I guess, on whether you intend to use the additional features of ME. (Uggh, is that a clue?)

4. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, Ian, for the news re Home Edition....really need to keep abreast of events more. Okay, looks like it's genner be the Pro then. Cheers. ;)

5. bigdic

bigdic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Media centre is just XP pro with media centre installed over the top. If you don't want to use media centre then you never need to, just use it as an xp pro system.

6. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If that is the case why is there a £35 premium for the Pro?

7. scotster

scotster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have been running a Media Centre Edition for four years without issues. It can be 'interesting' to configure if you want it to do 'non-standard' things like play Div-X etc.

It is XP Pro WITH the Media Centre software on top which is why you pay more. You may also get a MC remote thrown in.

The MC software gives you a whole raft of features that my family now find indespensible.. The MC is the core of our home entertainment centre.
    You may not find it usefull as its main purpose is to give you a '10 foot interface'. i.e one you can use from the sofa with a remote.

www.thegreenbutton.com forum is an exhaustive resource if you have more questions.

8. scotster

scotster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry. Misread your post. Dunno why Pro is £35 extra.

9. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it very similar to XP pro??
    Why cheaper??
    Is that it - Is there more to it ??

:confused:

10. Sponsored Links
  11. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks chaps, interesting stuff. Perhaps had the wrong end of the stick, but I thought that XP MCE was now occupying the space previously filled by Home Edition - though clearly it has been around for some time. With this in mind I didn’t want the attendant @rsing around a la HE when needing to do a backup and having to load from the reinstallation CD. What seemed to endorse my (mis?)understanding was that a friend of mine recently bought a seemingly highly spec’d Dell laptop shipped with XP MCE and he is unable to use the file/password encryption facility that XP Pro provides so therefore concluded that XP MCE is equal to less than XP Pro. Also him and his other half claim to be profoundly p*ssed off by MCE’s inability to allow two different account users to have the device set up according to their own preferences, you know the sort of thing: different backgrounds, desktops etc all things which Pro does adequately well. So I am at a loss to understand what matey bought, but could it be the case that there are different versions of Media Center? Just a guess.

Scotster, the 10 foot interface would be of little use to my folks and also despite the entertainment aspect it will not be compatible with DVD-RAM discs and that’s what they use.

Good link, Pip. Very succinct, “It's a brilliant, synergistic move for Microsoft. The TV stuff is what confuses many consumers”. Reckon I‘m one of them. Clever move though, ain’t it, this charging more, giving less. We can always rely on the Evil Empire to leave us feeling like we dropped the soap in the prison shower, can't we? :rolleyes:

12. Andy2406

Andy2406

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just to clear things up

Windows XP MCE is not XP Pro with the media centre edition but XP Home with MCE software.

The main difference is that the Pro version is used for business, so adding the PC to a Domain (collection of computers on the same network, with a controlling Server)

If you would like stability go with XP pro but if you want to use the MCE functions such as TV tunning and music centre go with the MCE version

Thanks

Andy (MCP and CSSA)

13. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My emboldenment above... This does report 'specific' exclusions from XP pro.

I read that EFS was only for XP pro and above?
    So where are we now? In the usual place I guess (might as well).
    :confused:

14. leecope3

leecope3

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    so why then if when asked for cd2 during my media center edition install if i skip it it installs windows xp pro on my pc??
    taken from wiki
    Although MCE is based on Windows XP Professional, Microsoft has disabled its ability to join an Active Directory domain post install. This effectively precludes the use of Media Center in a corporate environment. Media Center still retains most other Windows XP Pro-specific features, such as Remote Desktop and the Encrypting File System.

Lee

15. Igorian

Igorian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually, it's a hybrid o/s. It is almost XP Pro, but without the ability to connect to a domain, basically because it's aimed at home use. Most other Pro features have been retained.

16. leecope3

leecope3

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    its xp pro minus one feature lol

p.s andy2460 where did u get your MCP? ebay?

17. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You forgot this other difference, previously posted in invisible type ! straight from the horse's food funnel at M$

:D :D