XP veerrrrrrry slooooooowwwwww.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not that new, sorry, but a friend has a Windows machine running on XP without SP2 installed. We couldn't get it to upgrade despite talking to Microsoft.

The machine is now running incredibly slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwlyyyy. Have removed all the .tmp files, and it will now slowly start some applications. Is there a useful diagnostic toolkit which will help a non-expert?

Sponsored Links
Press ctrl alt del keys simultaneously, and use task manager to see what's chewing all the CPU cycles.

These days slowness is most often the symptoms of spyware running - you won't necessarily see these processes in the Windows Task Manager. My advice is to get a local expert in and give the machine a shakedown.

Depending on whether or not XP was the original OS, another factor might be inadequate RAM - make sure it has at least 256Mb or you'll be wasting your time while getting it working.

I would reckon on taking between 1.5 to 2.0 hours to install additional RAM and smack a machine into shape.

If you'd rather tackle it yourself, then install HijackThis and find a web forum that offers guidance on its use. As once before oilman, the offer is open to you to Email me.

but ram only plugs in and takes seconds.

I would agree with an anti spy ware pog, i ran mine again last night, much better (spybot)

also how about a defrag, that also helps, as does clear memeory cache (which i believe you have done)

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
but ram only plugs in and takes seconds.
That's a foolish comment, on many counts:

1. The time I indicated wasn't just for installing RAM.

2. It takes more than a few seconds to do the job in a professional manner and in a way that doesn't create more problems, which means: haul a machine out, disconnect it, open the case, take it outside, use Dust-Off to clear out all the dog hairs and fluff, install the memory whilst using a wrist strap, reassemble, start up and test.

A recent job I did involved replacing the motherboard that was f***ed by an owner who installed a RAM strip without any anti-static precautions. And the machine already had plenty of RAM anyway.

3. Not every motherboard does what the manual says it will in terms of recognising combinations of memory strips.

4. Not every motherboard has a spare slot. What would YOU do with your "few seconds" in that scenario? Tick-tock... :rolleyes:

I would agree with an anti spy ware pog, i ran mine again last night, much better (spybot)
And how long did that take you? Be accurate now...

also how about a defrag, that also helps, as does clear memeory cache (which i believe you have done)
Defragging is a cheap thrill and very rarely the solution to any problem of serious slowness. And WTF does "clear memory cache" mean?

Being relatively new to WinXP, I was amazed to find that almost every prog I installed was defaulting to leaving it's calling card in the task bar and/or deciding to test for updates without the decency to ask!

I have used the following free prog from a well respected source, it will show just what is being normally started etc ... Items may be 'unticked' or deleted, unticking just prevents their auto loading at start up.
Double click an item to be automatically transported to it's location in the registry.
Doesn't require installation .. Unzip 'n' run
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

I have but 30 processes running all told (probably too many) but the 6 y/o Dell Xps 600 I recently updated is turning a fair pair of heels with WinXP SP2.
Part of my AutoRuns screen ....
Winternals.jpg

Process explorer is another excellent piece of free kit from the same provider ....
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

;)

I'm well impressed that you managed to talk to Microsoft ! Certainly checking for spyware is a good idea, but try taskmanager first, as it's already installed and may point you in the right direction. Why couldn't you upgrade to SP2?

Machines can run slow for all kinds of reasons and, as Softus suggests, it can take a while to resolve. Most of the machines I see either have bad housekeeping procedures, spyware, leaky applications or duff hard disks. Occasionally, a bad stick of RAM can do this, but more often than not, it's disk/data related.

I usually take this approach.

1) Check RAM installed. IMHO, XP requires 512MB RAM to run comfortably with basic Apps, like Office etc. I would always add this as an advisory if it were any less. Also, check that you are not running out of disk space, especially on the drive holding the page file.

2) Check processes and the amount of background CPU being used. You can do this from task manager as suggested.

3) Identify the hard disk, download and run the appropriate diagnostic tool from the manufacturer site. If this reports a failing drive, then forget the rest of the tests and salvage what you can now to a new drive.

4) Run a disk cleanup to remove/empty temp Internet files, recycle bin, temp files, old system restores etc.

5) Run a scandisk to check for any basic anomalies. I usually boot from the XP CD and run it from the recovery console, but you can schedule it from Windows.

6) Run a spyware and virus scan using Spybot/Avast or your preferred programs.

7) Run a fragmentation analysis and defragment if necessary. I usually disable the page file before running this, and then enable it again after. There are tools that will sort out the page file on-the-fly.

If all the tests pass and the above procedures have been followed, there should be an improvement if it is a disk/data problem.

softus, i was not having a dig, and i mean to plug the ram in only takes a few seconds.

obviously you have to take the case apart, i wasnt counting that, and as for fluff etc you did not mention that in the first place.

as for how long did spybot take i am being honest i dont know, as i left it to it and went to bed. (clicked on "heal" when i got up. But again that was not mentioned in the first place in respect of time.

as for defrag, i will bow to your greater knowledge

but ever since i have had a pc i defrag it when i remember, since i was told that a pc will store what it can in any space that it will fit in, not as you would have thought, put it after the last thing it did.

so my reasoning behind a defrag is to re shuffle everything so there are bigger free spaces and the re shuffled stuff gets put into one place as opposed to being all over the place.

Eddie M said:
Why couldn't you upgrade to SP2?

Can't remember the details, but it threw up an objection, and we had to use some piece of code to overcome it, but SP2 still wouldn't install. As if it was a stolen version of XP.

I'm lucky/sensible, I don't use windoze systems.

breezer said:
softus, i was not having a dig, and i mean to plug the ram in only takes a few seconds.
Fair play - I may have over-reacted.

...and as for fluff etc you did not mention that in the first place.
To be strictly accurate, I didn't mention walking into the room either, but if you know anything about the inside of ageing PCs you'll know that at least half of them contain more fluff than a 1970s Radio 1 studio.

so my reasoning behind a defrag is to re shuffle everything so there are bigger free spaces and the re shuffled stuff gets put into one place as opposed to being all over the place.
Defragmenting doesn't recover one jot of free space - it just makes all file fragments in contigious allocation units so that the number of disk seek operations is markedly reduced.

Thanks guys. Ran spybot, big improvement, then used Firefox instead of IE.

You can also try a trial version 30/40 days Ashampoo Win Optimizer. I have used this to great effect. You have to register with your e-mail address, If you do not want to get any mail from them it is easy to unsubscribe.

If after or during the trial you decide to remove the programme then they give you an option of buying it cheaper than advertised.

Type Ashampoo into Google and browse the site. Lots of utility programmes to look at or try.

I purchased ashampoo 3

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back