Yellow patches on new laid turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We laid a new turf lawn about 1.5 months ago.
Spent along time preparing the ground and followed the advice given here. Put down compost and pre-turf fertiliser.
However now we have some yellow patches on the grass. The patches of yellow are very well defined an. I spotted that some of the turf had shrunk in the heat and filled in the gaps with compost.
No hose pipe ban here so it gets a sprinkling most days. I've been cutting it at the highest setting on the mower about once per week.

The turf is Soverign Turf which is meant to be drought tollerant, but that doesnt seem the case at the moment!

The unaffected parts are lovely and green.
Some pics here:
http://www.alanmangroo.com/Photos/Garden/grass/index.html

Any advice? Any ideas on the sad looking lavendar aswell?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
The patches are not big, keep watering and leave it till next year and it will probably be OK. The grass will most likely spread to fill in the dead bits.

Presumably you do not have a bitch? If you do, water it after she's been on the grass. If you can get hold of some matching grass seed you could lightly sprinkle a bit on the yellow bits as we get nearer Autumn.

It might possibly have been a fungus, but the grass looks mostly healthy so will strengthen as it gets established. I hope you haven't spilt petrol on the lawn when filling your mower? That will kill grass

(Edit: the four asterisks are what this website thinks a female dog should be called :LOL: )

mangroa said:
Hi,
We laid a new turf lawn about 1.5 months ago.
Spent along time preparing the ground and followed the advice given here. Put down compost and pre-turf fertiliser.
However now we have some yellow patches on the grass. The patches of yellow are very well defined an. I spotted that some of the turf had shrunk in the heat and filled in the gaps with compost.
No hose pipe ban here so it gets a sprinkling most days. I've been cutting it at the highest setting on the mower about once per week.

The turf is Soverign Turf which is meant to be drought tollerant, but that doesnt seem the case at the moment!

The unaffected parts are lovely and green.
Some pics here:
http://www.alanmangroo.com/Photos/Garden/grass/index.html

Any advice? Any ideas on the sad looking lavendar aswell?

Thanks
Alan

Could be dog, cat or fox wee. all of which are pretty bad for grass, or petrol from a mower. Just keep watering it for now. Alternatively could you path the areas using turves from the same supplier?

if it is any of the above, which looks the most likely from the pictures, your best bet will be to cut the areas out and the soil underneath and replace them with some new soil and turf. Dont just replace the turf as urine or petrol normally leaches down into the top soil. Also cats have a habit of urinating in the same place so it builds up.

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling its cats as there are loads round here. Mower is elec one.

Thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back