Yet another central heating problem....but I'm a lady!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my central heating installed 2 years ago. (Worcester 28i boiler)

The bathroom radiator has never been hot at the top despite numerous attempts to bleed it (ie, no air or water come out). Recently the pressure has dropped sufficiently to allow the pilot light to go out meaning that I have to balance on the worktop to press the reset button thingy on top of the boiler....then I push a little lever down and twist a tap to make the grey needle go back up past the red one on the dial on the front of the boiler. (apologies for female type description!!!!)

Tonight I decided to bleed all the radiators and realised that another upstairs rad is cold at the top tooo. I bled it but no air or water came out.... it just stayed cold at the top. :rolleyes:

So now I'm confused (yes...woman!) I'm hoping that it's not a leak as my house is so small that I would have to move out just to lift the carpets :cry:

Anyone got a magic wand or a simple explaination? :(

Thank you in anticipation x x x I'm off to bake a cake or somethin!

Sponsored Links
When you are bleeding the rads you are dropping the boiler pressure and as soon as there is no pressure left nothing else will come out the rad so close the bleed nipple raise the boiler pressure and go back and bleed some more.

Ooh, I think I actually understand that! :)

Should I be bleeding the radiators with the boiler switched off?

There is an expansion vessel inside your boiler, usually red. This should have air in it, and it should be checked every year. To check the air pressure you first have to release the pressure in the system, I use the safety valve in the boiler, but most others say this will make the valve leak, but the valve needs checking to ensure it works. Then you can check the air pressure using a tyre pressure gauge, then repressureise the water. There should be instructions in the boiler manual.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. Think I'll get my Dad to have a look at that for me.

Really appreciate your replies, thanks x x x

DONT check the presure in the expansion vess, not on a 28i it has one of the most reliable you may let to much air out when testing, no need to check unless you pressure gauge is riseing upto three bar when htg is on with the fill lopp discnected ,if its not riseing above the norm then its ok. If you dad is copotent have him turn off the boiler(from the mains )remove the front combustion cover and check the auto air vent at the top right of the heat exchanger if its keaking change it(easy) the pressure relief valve is allso cheap and easy to change to eliminate it passing (a good bet)

You suckers. That ain't no lady. Women don't talk like that. It's a bloke who thinks that other blokes think that woment talk like that.

PaulAH said:
You suckers. That ain't no lady. Women don't talk like that. It's a bloke who thinks that other blokes think that woment talk like that.

Oi mush!!! :eek: I'm most definately a laydee!

My husband is totally incompetant and wouldn't budge to look at the CH boiler unless it exploded :rolleyes: It's take me a lifetime to get him to change the bathroom lightbulb (enclosed thingy...I can't reach) :mad:

I'll show my Dad these replies though...especially the complicated ones which require the brain power of a man (!) to fully understand ;)

(seriously, thanks x)

PaulAH said:

Not really sure what the relevance is to her being a lady, a man or a mixture of both :confused:

cog said:
DONT check the presure in the expansion vess, not on a 28i it has one of the most reliable you may let to much air out when testing, no need to check unless you pressure gauge is riseing upto three bar when htg is on with the fill lopp discnected ..............................

I admit to know nothing of that particular boiler, but it sounds like the expansion vessel must be very small if you could let too much air out when testing. I've only come across that problem when trying to test shock arrestors.

I have come across lots of systems where the pressure has not been high, but there was no air in the expansion vessel, the diaphram was shot, and the expansion space was provided by air in radiators. (BS7074 part 1 refers to checking integrity of expansion vessels at services).

Oi mush!!! I'm most definately a laydee!

OK darling, I believe you. A shame hubby doesn't respond to the sugar-coated charms. Tried the rolling-pin method instead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back