Yet another noisy Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - First off let me just apologise from the start for being so completely clueless, using all the wrong terminology and for writing such a huuuge essay :oops:
Ok heres the problem - just bought my first house and the central heating system is playing up - the boiler would come on for 5 minutes then switch off. I turned the pump off at the mains left it 15-20 mins turned it back on and it would fire up for 5 mins again then shut off. I had a chat with a few mates and the common concensus was it was the pump (don't ask me why) so I bought and fitted a new pump. Everything seemed to be ok all yesterday and last night until 7.00 this morning when it sounded like my house was being demolished - the pipes were banging like hell. This lasted about 10 mins then stopped so I just thought it was an air lock and I would bleed it out later. Then about 9.30 the overflow outside started pouring water out. I jumped in the loft and the ball thing in the smaller tank looked like a punctured football and was full of water. Ahhh just replace that and everything would be great I thought. I replaced it and bled all the rads and everything seemed rosy. And it was - for about 3 hours. The problem started when I turned the thermostat down in the living room. The pipes started their calypso band impression, the overflow started its Niagra act and the water tank in the airing cupboard seems to have taken on the persona of a steam train with water and steam pouring out of this little black plastic valve thing on its side.
So what I need to know is what on earths going on, does it sound dangerous and is it going to cost me loads to put right? :cry: The water in the little tank is boiling hot so could this be what burst the ball in the first place? Again I'm sorry this is such a massive post but any help/info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the gas is lit constantly. Maybe the boiler thermostat is goosed?

yes it's dangerous. :eek:

The room stat seems to be controlling the pump. Am I right? Does the stat start and stop the pump?

It sounds like nothing is controlling the boiler. Turn it off!!!!!

Right, what is the make and model of boiler?

Erm I'm not 100% sure but I think the stat is just controlling the boiler. The boiler has Ideal Classic written on it. The boilers the thing on the kitchen wall yeah? Not the round thing in the airing cupboard? Sorry to be so vague but this is all new to me. Now if it was an aircooled engine... :)

Cheers

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Actually I think I got my first post a bit skewed (its been a long day working til 4.30 this morning then up at 7.00 cos of the noise)- all this noise is coming from the airing cupboard

Cheers

Jamie

Yes, it's the thing on the kitchen wall, not the round thing in the cupboard, and forget about air cooled engines, it is not one of those.

(I have a single cylinder Mag diesel generator, rope start, for sale, do you want one?)

Inside the boiler there should be a plate with the details on, these might help the gas boys when they get back. I'm not much use as I do only oil.

Hey Oilman - thanks for the kind offer of the Genny but I'm I think I'll give it a miss :)

The sticker says Stelrad Ideal NF40

Cheers

Jamie

Sorry but all my posts seem to be getting posted twice!!! Its not me honest!!! Guess this is just not my day :rolleyes:

In the airing cupboard, do you have a cable going to a thing on the round tank? Follow this back to a switch, and switch it off. If it was on, the immersion heater stst is probably faulty, if it was already off please post all info for further help from gas boys.

Yeah theres a cable going from a round silver thing to a timeclock which is off and also a cable going to a thermostat (?)

Thanks for a ll your help so far oilman (and sam)- much appreciated

Cheers

Jamie

well just thought I'd let you all know - it was air in the pump. Bled the system and its all ok. Hope this may help someone else.

Cheers

Jamie©

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back