Yorkshire disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years back i was moving a downstairs radiator to another wall which necessitated taking up some floor boards (or what the builders had deemed suitable for walking on :LOL: ) on the upstairs landing. My wife had said you will have this job finished before 5pm as you know my friends are coming round, yea yea i assured her and of she went to work. After a read of the paper and a cuppa (no rush easy job) i started to drain the central heating system down from one of the two downstairs radiator drain cocks but it had decided it was not going to function today. After mucking about with it for quite some time it still wouldnt open. So i tries the other drain after a bit of coaxing it opens and the system slowly starts to drain. I goes upstairs and opens the rad bleeders to increase the flow i then took the flooring up. I made myself another brew and waited for the the drain down to finish. Water all out i cuts the pipes upstairs moves the rad and puts the new pipework into place, i looks at my watch and its half twoish i thinks better get a move on she will be back about 3. So i prepare the pipe ends for the first joint and heat up the yorkshire fitting (solder ring) solder shows job done. I start wirewooling the pipes for the second joint i hears the missus get in, and you know the way they are, i thought you would have finished by now nag nag, yes dear, i hit a few snags but i will be finished in half an hour. By now she,s standing behind me with words of encouragement like i hope this is gonna be done your always the same etc, during this ear ache i puts the fitting in place and starts heating it up. After a bit no solders showed but i thinks maybe its showing underneath anyway by now i just want to finish so i go and turn the water on, wife still grumbling in the kitchen. Id had enough in the kitchen i goes and a couple of words are exchanged, after a few minutes i heads back for the stairs to check the job and shut the rad bleeders. Then i hears the sound of running water that you dont want to hear when youve just done a plumbing job as i get to the stairs im greeted by water coming down them. I ran up and its squirting everywere, its from that second joint. With all the argy bargy id forgot to flux the pipes, you should have seen the mess not to mention the wifes face. I dont think we spoke for a week afterwards :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hotwire said:
I dont think we spoke for a week afterwards :LOL:

Nice to see that some good came out of it then :D
woman_beating_date_md_clr.gif

Sponsored Links
D'oh!!!

Funny how those who don't do the DIY never appreciate just how long a "simple" job can take. :LOL:

Imagine the response you would get asking a pregnant woman "Haven't you finished gestating that baby yet? You've been at it for months, hurry up!" ;) :LOL:

With all the argy bargy id forgot to flux the pipes

Excellent :LOL:

Reminds me of a time when I decided to move the washing machine and take the water supply from the bathroom above, I uttered those fateful words to her in doors "its only a ten minute job"

Bought one of those snazzy plumbing soldering irons, stuck the connections together used the tool and the solder poured out the joints worked a treat, all that was left to do was connect the pipe with a straight connection to the pipe poking through the ceiling, it went like a dream except no solder appeared around the joint but I guessed it would be OK.

There you go says I, its sorted, piece of cake, looks like a drip of water up there she says, no its not says I, give the pipe a tug its solid as a rock. She got hold of the pipe gave a tug, gave a scream, Ooops one very soaked wife and me in the dog house again! In my hurry to finish the job I forgot the flux and it must have been hot enough to form a seal and hold the pipe.

I did point out that we now had a shower facility in the washing machine cupboard. :evil: No sense of humour some people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back