Your input appreciated - A definitive Tile on Tile Method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you search these and other forums you can get lots of little snippets of useful advice about tiling on top of existing ceramic tiles.

Maybe due to my cautious nature or maybe due to the trouble I will be in if tiles start falling off the wall I want to try and form a comprehensive method about how to tile on tile so that this thread can be a one stop shop for advice on this matter.

So compiling all of the advice I have gathered from various sources could I get some people who actually know what they are talking about to verify that the following method would work:

- Only tile on tile if you are sure that the existing tiles were applied well and that the sub surface will bear the weight of another layer of tiles.

- If there are any tiles that appear damaged or not well attached to the wall then remove and replace with a cheap tile - allowing sufficient time for the adhesive applied to the new tile to dry before starting the next layer.

- Wash the existing tiles with Sugar Soap to remove any grease or residue that is on the surface of the tile. Allow the tiles to dry naturally.

- Remove the 'shine' of the existing tiles by sanding them with a course sandpaper.

- Wash the tiles again to remove any dust created by the sanding of the tiles. Allow the tiles to dry naturally.

(- Some people suggest 'priming' the tiles, but as yet I have seen no indication about what primer to use and the BAL 'fixing guide' does not mention this as being necessary).

- Hang the tiles in the usual manner using BAL Rapidset adhesive with BAL AD1 additive for the best adhesion.

- Allow the adhesive twice as long as recommended to dry as it won't be absorbed into the sub surface as quickly as it would on a more porous surface.

- Grout using a suitable grout (i.e. BAL Supergrout) but not a dual purpose adhesive & grout.

Does this sound right? Has anyone anything to add?

Thanks for your time and comments.

Sponsored Links
Apart from adding the obvous statement that it is better to take them off and start with a fresh wall.

If you are aiming this at DIYers then a slower setting afdhesive with a longer working life would be better such as CTF3 and admix or a readymix such as Whitestar.

Jason

Agreed. Except in very rare cases, we always rip of the existing tiles. Most of the time, the tiles seem like they are secure, but when we start to knock them off, they just fly off the wall. Also, the extra thickness often looks strange around architraves, skirtings, coving, etc. We have most of our bathrooms stripped out in an hour or two. We generally do not PVA either, we use an acrylic primer by BAL.

I used B&Q 'tile on tile' adhesive, and all I did was clean the old tiles first with soap and a rag, worked a treat, none came loose.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back