Your recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 3 bedroom semi detach house, we have a combi gar fire boiler 24kw running
10 radiators in the house.

Currently is working fine except time to time it switches off by it self, we called an Engineer for this and its in the processor being fixed very soon. However, the Engineer told us due to the size of our house its recommended we install a Boiler at least 27kw and advised that 24kw is not compatible for our house.

Therefore we were thinking of upgrading the boiler to some thing higher than 24KW, I was wondering Shall we upgrade this or shall we wait for it until it breaks down completely?

Is the boiler the right size 24kw for a 3-bedroom house running 10 radiators?

Also, we’ve noticed that there are 3 15mm pips attached to the boiler and the rest are 25mm is this the correct size? Or do we need to re-do the pip work?

And lastly, properly maintaining the boiler, what do we need to maintain? And how often do we do this.

Appreciate your help and time.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
tell him to **** off...he's trying to pitch you a new boiler which you really don't need - unless your radiators are constantly cold.

first off 10 rads does not add up. it could be 10 1kw rads or 10 5kw rads. get a radiator/plumbing catalog from your local merchants measure the size of each rad number of panels and rows of fins if any match them up to the rads in the book which will have the output in kw add say 10% if thats well below 24kw no problem. most four bed semis are below 24kw BUT 24kw on the hot water side is not as good as 27kw if you upgrade to a 27/28kw combi you will get around 1ltr per min of extra hot water at full flow,. is that worth changing your boiler for ?. As regards pipes you should have one 22mm gas pipe, two 22mm htg pipes and two 15mm domestic water pipes plus one 15mm pipe from the pressure relief pipe if required, the htg pipes could drop down to 15mm if the system would cope but cant tell without a full diagram

Thank you so much for this information.

Next time when this Installer comes in, I'll teach him a lesson for his recommendation :!:

Sponsored Links
I don't quite understand. You asked the same question in a slightly different form here and asked about the pipe sizes here .

What is the real reason for the questions? Are you seeking an answer to a genuine diy question?

I like your tone Oilman! :cool:

Stop wasting my time!!!

I have answered this same :?: in another forum and you where told not to but your :?: under that thread. But I'll move my answer just for you.

Why higher KW rating?

Lets stop unneccessary energy waste.

Im sure 24kw is ample for your home. If it feels cold and the rads are old this could be the reason. It could just need to be flushed correctly. Bigger is not always better. A higher KW rating would provide you with higher H/W flow rates, which are ideal if you have a family and are using 2 H/W sources at the same time.

If the boiler is passed its sell buy date then upgrade but to get do so just for a higher Kw rating, sound like a waste of money to me.

Do you mean, you have low or high water pressure???

As far as servicing goes every year by a reputable installer not any old Billy Bob. ;)

Is the boiler the right size 24kw for a 3-bedroom house running 10 radiators?

Sorry Registered Gas Man :(, but there are other ways of saving the environment, after due consideration I would recommenrd a 40kW waste oil boiler (can be run on sump oil or old chip fat) with the radiators plumbed in using 6mm OD copper and sealed system. Double the number of radiators and a fit a hand pump with a 20m head. You will also need a 2.5cu m/hr 80psi air supply. This link should keep anyone busy for the forseeable future.
What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back