Zanussi DWS 949 Not Washing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roughly 10 year old Zanussi DWS 949 has stopped working. When I turn it on, I do not hear the usual gush of water entering the machine. At the usual point in the cycle when the arms should start spinning, I can hear the motor running but nothing happens. Also if I leave it on for long enough, the bit of water that is still in the machine does heat up (plenty of steam) but like I said, no spinning action whatsoever. When I turn the machine off, it seems to take quite a long time for the motor to stop spinning which would indicate that there is nothing resisting it to slow it down.

Could the problem be:
- A blocked inlet hose?
- A faulty inlet valve?
- A faulty pump?
- Faulty gearing/belt (if such things exist)?

Please advise how I can diagnose the problem further and hopefully fix it. I am reluctant to call an engineer in at this stage but I am getting fed up with washing dishes by hand as well.

Sponsored Links
Internal blockage. Because it heats it thinks it's already full of water.
It shouldn't wash or heat when it's empty. Therefore, internal blockage holding the pressure switch closed.

Thanks Sleepyhead, sounds likely. Any tips on how to clear the blockage? I am quite happy to take the thing apart but don't want to end up with a pile of spare parts after I have tried putting it back together... :oops:

Not sure about your model. Look inside the cavity, right hand side of the base, is there two blue tubes? If so you need to clean that area and the tubes. Underneath you need to remove and clean the hoses. Worst case you'll need a new water matrix.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again sleepyhead (and apologies for the long delay for the thanks...). It turned out to be both the water matrix as well as the pump which both were replaced and the dishwasher is now working perfectly apart from a sticking powder dispenser door but I'm happy to live with that - I just chuck a tablet in!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back