Plastering Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had our fireplace opened out and a wood burning stove installed. I'm looking to plaster either side inside the fire place however I'm unsure as to what type of plaster/screed I need to purchase.

Having had a look on the interweb, I have found a company called VITCAS who specialize in plaster and screed for use in high temperatures.

Here are the links...

http://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heatproof-screed-17-p.asp
http://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heat-resistant-plaster-16-p.asp

As the brickwork is quite rough, I'm planning on using the screed to make both surfaces smoother then use the plaster for the finish.

Would this be the way to go about this?

Thanks in advance
Kev

Sponsored Links
Rich C is your man - I'm sure he'll be along soon
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You can use Vitcas heat proof screed but sand/cement/lime (5:1:1) render will withstand the heat just as well; build the base in 2 coats with the initial scratch coat fairly wet. Use heatproof plaster to finish over the render, inside & at least 800mm above & 500mm either side the fire opening; gypsum based plaster or boards won’t stand more than 50 degrees C & will fail. Vitcas finish plaster behaves a little differently to conventional gypsum plaster, it takes rather longer to go off, is not so easy to trowel up & you must plaster up to a stop as you can’t blend it in, do the heatproof bit first & then blend conventional gypsum up to it. You must also get the finish right “off the trowel” as you can’t sand out any imperfections once it’s dry (it’s very hard); not that your supposed to sand gypsum plaster really.

Here a few links for you to read:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183614
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242738

Some are also cross linked but you should get all the info you need; come back if you need to.

Richard,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I think I will order the Vitcas stuff and see how I get on. If I get stuck, I'll be sure to post back.

Thanks again,
Kev

Sponsored Links
I know this post is fairly old but just wanted to check if i have the basic right for plastering chimney breast and chimney inset prior to getting stove fitted? Going to ask plasterer to use sand/cement/lime (5:1:1) render as a scratch coat, is this just one coat made fairly wet? Then use heatproof plaster (Victas) to finish over the render, how long do you need to leave render before applying finish coat? Should I do all three sides of outside chimney breast or is it ok to just do the front and stop at the corner bead where it will then be normal gypsum finish on the outer walls?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back