hoover washer dryer hw160m wet clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

my washer/ dryer HW160m has stopped drying clothes

It goes through all the drying programs but clothes remain wet.

Have taken top off ... could any item of clothing be jammed/blocking it ?

There looks like a motor/fan to top right of drying assembly thats not turning on?

Has anybody had same problem ?

Sponsored Links
I can not speek for your specific brand, but in general:

the fan you see is to blow air across a heater or two.
if its not running then no heat, however, if its not running, and the heaters did (at one time come on) there is probably an over heat stat / cut out which may / not have gone (on hp m/c once it goes it must be replaced)

it may also be a problem with the "dryer control side"

you have 2 choices

call a hoover engineer

throw the m/c away

I say throw it away because a w/d can only dry half the load it has washed, they dont dry the same as a T/D
and they are a pain to work on.

useless fact

XYZ company changed all w/d to w/m because they were so bad

breezer said:

you have 2 choices

call a hoover engineer

throw the m/c away

I say throw it away because a w/d can only dry half the load it has washed, they dont dry the same as a T/D
and they are a pain to work on.........................................................

Not just yet breezer ....

It is under 2yrs old, while I am inclined to follow your suggestion of throwing it away it still washes clothes.

If its a simple fault such as clogged with fluff etc i may be able to sort it quickly.It looks like it has a rest switch on top of drying mechanism( this is from memory ). I would give you technical names of components but my brain is not engaged in that mode at present .

Calling hoover maybe be an option ( does 5 parts warranty apply ? )

onion_soup said:
( does 5 parts warranty apply ? )

it does for hotpoint, dont know about hoover

the problem with a washing m/c or w/d is there are a lot of "technical things" you do not know about (as a hp engineer i even got caught out on one, i hadn't recieved the technical bultien about something)

changing brushes / valves, cleaning a filter or pump can be done if you are competent, but the dryer side, no.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
onion_soup said:
( does 5 parts warranty apply ? )

it does for hotpoint, dont know about hoover

the problem with a washing m/c or w/d is there are a lot of "technical things" .............
changing brushes / valves, cleaning a filter or pump can be done if you are competent, but the dryer side, no.

took top of machine off to have fresh look at problem ....
read about a fix for this problem when i was researching before purchase of this washerdryer, but cant find it now :cry:

It has 2 reset switches on top of dryer , one at front other at back .Front switch clicked to reset , rear switch did not need reseting.
Well the problem is not in heater but in motor on top right side . It is jammed and does not rotate :( have tried freeing it up by rotating it .

the motor will not turn 360' but is scraping housing internally (fan?).

turned machine to drying setting, motor rotated until it jammed again :rolleyes:

Well at least the problem is mechanical and not electrical any ideas any one ?

onion_soup said:

If you can take the fan out you will (probably) find it is scraping on fluff / lint build up, you may be able to clean it, if you dont break it fisrt, alternatively, throw the m/c away , and listen to uncle breezer, w/d are more trouble than they are worth

Breezer... you're a hard man! You're the kind've guy that'll amputate his arm if he a got a splinter in his finger! Too right as well.

I'm not an expert, far from it.. but i've got a Hoover W/D too ,, it works, i think! because i haven't used the dryer aspect of it for over 2 years! I found that i just don't need to use the dryer... the washer part spins the cr@p out of the clothes & they're almost dry when i come to hanging them up on the line!! Plus you're right.. unless washing a half load can't use the dryer until i decant some the stuff to a basket or something... & the amount of energy it uses!!!!! only one word to describe it.... treachery! My next m/c will be a w/m only... Onion Skin.. at least for now you still have a washer!

sorry for the useless info..... Ro.

breezer said:
onion_soup said:

alternatively, throw the m/c away , and listen to uncle breezer, w/d are more trouble than they are worth

hello uncle breezer :D

ok you know what to get me for x mas lol

If you can buy me one that costs upto 1000 pounds would be great ;)

don't spend any more than that treat auntie brezzer to that bwm convertible shes always wanted :p

Will have look for lint / fluff in fan hosuing when i have time as i am looking for a fridge freezer now .Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer.

Rotara said:
Breezer... you're a hard man! You're the kind've guy that'll amputate his arm if he a got a splinter in his finger! Too right as well..

I agree with you there Rotara :D

Rotara said:
...... Plus you're right.. unless washing a half load can't use the dryer until i decant some the stuff to a basket or something... & the amount of energy it uses!!!!! only one word to describe it.... treachery! My next m/c will be a w/m only... Onion Skin.. at least for now you still have a washer!

There is a new model that washes 7kg and drys 5kg, my average wash is about 5-6kg so that ok for me.

I don't have space for a separate dyer.

If we are talking about the dryer I've had the same problem with the same model 3 times - within 2years! 1st time within warranty, 2nd time paid £80 for fix. 3rd time Hoover fixed free of charge.
Each time the dryer was not working and did not appear to 'heating up' Engineer explained he needed to clear out fluff from the condensor inside the machine (thats all I know) and that on older models this part was wider than on this model. I also see Hoover no longer do this model.
Have written another letter to Hoover to see whether they will fix this fault ongoing for free and whether it is a design fault (like they are going to say yes!) or a fault with my machine.
Goo luck

there is nothing wrong with the design of your w/d, however it may have a design feature detremental to its operation :)

basically in my opinion ALL washer dryers are (insert your word here)

bob5buys said:
If we are talking about the dryer I've had the same problem with the same model 3 times - within 2years!

Yes its same washerdryer and similar problem. The dryer has not been used since 1st 3 months, so problem only came to light recently!

bob5buys said:
1st time within warranty, 2nd time paid £80 for fix. 3rd time Hoover fixed free of charge.

I know the machine comes with 5 year parts warranty but don't know if you have to register ? I assume 80 pounds was for labour only, its a shame you did not see exactly what he did. :(

bob5buys said:
Each time the dryer was not working and did not appear to 'heating up' Engineer explained he needed to clear out fluff from the condensor inside the machine (thats all I know)

Ah a clue , uncle breezer wheres/whats condenser look like ?

thankyou for feedback bob5buys I have identified problem/part of problem being with a motor/housing sticking.

As the washer part of machine is working its a non urgent repair, so will strip & clean or get a hoover engineer to look at it when I have more time.

Its an annoying fault and one that I have seen a fix for on a website ( i cant find it again :( )

i can't speak for your brand of w/d but the condensor should sit on the back of the outer drum, it will be the "odd looking bolt on bit"

post a birds eye view pic and i will "take my best shot" (on a hp its bright blue, but on a creda creda it was white)

onion_soup said:
its a shame you did not see exactly what he did
... the wife was on household duties that day.
breezer said:
it will be the "odd looking bolt on bit"
... but I did have a look and, if I am right, it as breezer says the odd looking bolt on bit at the back of the drum. It was white. I did not have the right tools to take it off but I could see fluff built up in it.
Hope it helps

... needless to say the washer dryer had broken down again!
This time Hoover sent out a 'team manager'.
He looked at it. Did not think it was the condensor but replaced 2 thermostats.
Hey guess what ... a week after he visited it broke down again!
I took the top off the machine. One of the thermostats had 'popped'. I reset it and it is working again.
I have left the top unscrewed so I can keep resetting the thermostat as required. No doubt I will phone Hoover again at some point as I'm determined to have the last word ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back