Wooden or UPVC??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having new windows fitted, is it worth the extra expense to have traditional wooden ones made up? I've seen the finished items and have to say they seem to have come a long way, ie 5 point multi locking systems, dble glazed, micro porus paint applied.

Most people in the road seem to be having UPVC, not sure if its because of cost, maintenace issues, or just because of ignorance, as I didnt really think about wooden ones until I saw them on a house with the joiners name on a board. They looked almost identical to dble glazed but the features and without the shininess. Another plus side would be I guess you keep the detail inside rather than just pieces of plastic covering up the holes.

Would it increase the house price also? Your views would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
IMO most people don't move into a house with a view to staying there for a time period beyond the life of upvc therefore upvc is likely to be a cheaper option. Is someone likely to buy your house and pay more for it if an identical one but with upvc in the same street is going for a few K less with the knowledge that they may need to maintain the windows at some at yet more cost at some point? ..............

Personally, if I could afford it I'd have timber every time.

i am guessing that one reason why wooden windows in good condition are known to add value to a house is that there are less of them around.

Sponsored Links
Very true, I've asked for a quote for rear french doos, which is over 6k. Not sure what fronts up and down would be!

french doors should be no more than £1500 for a simple pair of double doors.
a bay window £2000 to £3000

Got three quotes, all around the same, this company includes fitting and FENSA etc, guaranteed 7 years also. This is for french doors within a bay, theres loads of small panes of glass involved. £1500 is what he UPVC company quoted me!

yes patio doors in a bay is quite a bit harder.
£1500 is scarily cheap - wood or plastic.

Cheers, is there alot of maintenance involved with wood though. Is the woodgrain an option for UPVC?

paint or stain every 5 to 10 years.
same as the walls inside your house.
a cheap upvc installation may only last 10 years.

have a read at the website i posted.

upvc woodgrain? why? what is is imitating? you don't see the grain in white painted wood do you?
horrible.

do we build houses that are prefab concrete shells and paint them to look like tudor cottages? only in disney land. lets have a bit of honesty.

U do have a valid point there. Im very tempted to go for wood. Not sure what website you posted though mate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back